Best Spin Drift online calculator?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Litehiker, Dec 4, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Applied ballistics accounts for aerodynamic jump.

Hornady uses Axial Form Factor to adjust the calculations to match your real world results. AB uses MV Calculation and DSF. Different methods but both make the adjustments necessary to fine tune the computed results to your rifle's performance.

I stick with ways I know work, so MV and DSF is for me, but it doesn’t matter for the average shooter unless you are pushing subsonic. This is the reason Capt up there doesn’t notice any issues, his 7mm mag is still screaming even at 1400. Start shooting in mile(s) range with assorted bullets and loads then this stuff becomes important, including spin. Not at 1000.

BrentM likes this.
  2. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Also I’m not sure about this but last thing but I heard from our kestrel liaison, 4 dof kestrels were exclusively under the limits of the sportsman series, which is fine if you don’t mind not having the range cards and are limited to 3 guns. You can store more gat pieces on the app. If that hasn’t changed then still not really a big deal.

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

df, Good to know re. the Kestrel 4 DOF engine. Quite limited options in the Sportsman Kestrels.

Eric B.

4. Doug Herold

Doug Herold Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Strelok is that I cannot input elevation (which equates to air density)

5. Mram10us

Mram10us Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I read earlier about needing an accurate compass. As you know, most cell phones have this, so no need to carry something else. At 1500 yards, if you shoot at a heading of 100 but it’s off by 5 degrees, your shot is off by .1”.

6. Dog Rocket

Dog Rocket Well-Known Member

What is the advantage to putting in a fixed elevation, when it is irrelevant?

If you want to put in a fixed number, all you would have to do is put in standard station pressure for that altitude. Even if you don't have a chart, it is 29.92inHg at sea level and subtract 1inHg per 1,000 ft. elevation.

Pretty simple.

Doug Herold likes this.
  7. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s off by any amount with a 5 degree deviation. Not that I can see when running simulations on an app and not when shooting. The phone compass should be more than enough. Heck i just use the compass data inside my sig 2400 or just swag the heading into an app.

8. Tucker65

Tucker65 Well-Known Member

Strelok Pro let's you use the phones built in barometer or you can enter your own density altitude numbers.

9. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Phones have a barometer?

10. Rangerbear

Rangerbear Active Member

I always used shooter app. It worked great for me.