Best Smartphone/Phablet

It's about time for me to upgrade my smart phone. I am wanting to move to a larger display / phablet.

Is there a smart phone / app / accessory out there that will let my phone second as a GPS? Where I spend a lot of my time in the woods, there is no cell signal so it would have to work off satellite. I like finding obscure places on the map to hunt and fish. Always thought a GPS with the functionality of Google Earth (that had logging roads/trails on it) would be the ticket.

I'm about 4 years behind on my phone tech and 8 years behind on my GPS tech. If I had this conversation with the dude in the skinny jeans and emo hair behind the Verizon counter, I don't think I'd get the answers I need.

(I know it's an add on) While on the subject of phones / no cell service. What's your favorite (preferably cheap) ballistics app?

Thanks.

It's about time for me to upgrade my smart phone. I am wanting to move to a larger display / phablet.

Is there a smart phone / app / accessory out there that will let my phone second as a GPS? Where I spend a lot of my time in the woods, there is no cell signal so it would have to work off satellite. I like finding obscure places on the map to hunt and fish. Always thought a GPS with the functionality of Google Earth (that had logging roads/trails on it) would be the ticket.

I'm about 4 years behind on my phone tech and 8 years behind on my GPS tech. If I had this conversation with the dude in the skinny jeans and emo hair behind the Verizon counter, I don't think I'd get the answers I need.

(I know it's an add on) While on the subject of phones / no cell service. What's your favorite (preferably cheap) ballistics app?

Thanks.

I use an iPhone and have experience with android. I prefer iPhone because it is simpler yo use in my opinion and all I really want is a device that does its job. I like iSnipe for ballistics and for gps with maps onX is good as it includes ownership data but it can be costly.

I think that any modern smart phone will work as a GPS. I know that I do with my iPhone, and can also do it with my iPad. With my phone I've been saving hunting spots and fishing spots for years. Free apps are easily available, though I've got a couple that I purchased at nominal cost that work well too.

I've got my iPad loaded with OnX Maps for my upcoming antelope hunt, and will see how well that works.

Having said that, some of the capabilities of a higher end Garmin are outstanding. We used Dad's last year when elk hunting in New Mexico, and I was very much impressed with what comes preloaded. You can also add maps from your computer.

I use a Droid Maxx loaded with Back Country Navigator app. Very good app with many good maps, both topo and satellite. Easy download method for saving maps for off-line use plus GPS tracking. It is filled with features for hunting. I also carry Garmin Montana loaded with OnX maps when negotiating private property parcels.

Im a little late with a reply, but.......

Ive switched to using my cell phone as a primary GPS over the past few years. I hunt in areas where cell service generally isnt an issue. When in more remote areas the phone still works, just need to make sure you preload any necessary maps.

Back County Navigator is my preferred app for android. It is a great GPS for a few bucks. It also allows you to download extra layers such as BLM maps for the western states. Ive used it several times with no issues.

Regarding ballistic apps. I enjoy Shooter. Simple to use. Lets you enter severl parameters. Also automatically enters location data w/elevation and atmospheric conditions from nearest weather source.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.