Best short barreled 30 cal???

chetraguse

Looking at building a 20" barreled 30 cal to run with the suppressor all the time. Just wondering what you guys have and maybe what some of the velocities are. I have a fair amount of N570 and Berger 215's.

Looking at building a 20" barreled 30 cal to run with the suppressor all the time. Just wondering what you guys have and maybe what some of the velocities are. I have a fair amount of N570 and Berger 215's.
Short action under 3", the SS is really good. Mid action under 3.2, the Mega will run a 215 at 2850-2875 on a lot less powder than a big case magnum.

Last edited:
Right off the bat to use N570 takes a big case volume. that is the magnum 30 cals. The second problem is lots of slow burning powder is terrifically hard on cans especially with shorter barrels. Have somebody run you a quick load and you are going to have a high % of unburned powder blowing out the end of a 20 inch.

Second heavy pills take time to accelerate and 215's going slow might require 7 - 8 twist

What are you trying to accomplish anyway. the 300wsm is a wonderful 20 inch, but you are are not going to be use your powder or pills!

Right off the bat to use N570 takes a big case volume. that is the magnum 30 cals. The second problem is lots of slow burning powder is terrifically hard on cans especially with shorter barrels. Have somebody run you a quick load and you are going to have a high % of unburned powder blowing out the end of a 20 inch.

Second heavy pills take time to accelerate and 215's going slow might require 7 - 8 twist

What are you trying to accomplish anyway. the 300wsm is a wonderful 20 inch, but you are are not going to be use your powder or pills!
Ok great, this is what I was trying to accomplish with this is to find out what some of the best options are. Maybe it has to a 22" barrel. I'm not limited to 570 and 215's, it's just some of what I have on hand.

Ok great, this is what I was trying to accomplish with this is to find out what some of the best options are. Maybe it has to a 22" barrel. I'm not limited to 570 and 215's, it's just some of what I have on hand.
There's always bad info about short barreled magnums spewing unburned powder out the muzzle.
The powder burns in the first several inches of barrel, people confuse gas expansion with burning.
You won't need anything faster than a 9 twist to stabilize bullets longer and sleeker than a 215 at velocities above 2600 fps.

Depending on your velocity goals I'd go with a 30 Nos if using a standard magnum action, or a 300 NMI if you're into trying a lapua action.
I'm sending 225 eldms over 2800 fps with Retumbo in my 19" 300 NMI.
N570 would easily be north of 2900

If you want to go big magnum, the 30 SM should run a 215 near 3000 and you can shoot factory prc ammo in it if you want.

I loaded a 20" 1:10" .300WSM w. 215s and RL23 @ 2725fps. It has hammered quite a few elk.

Looking at building a 20" barreled 30 cal to run with the suppressor all the time.

I bought a 20", .30 caliber barrel here, I think. It was sort of a chopped #6 Bartlein. Maybe a little heavy but that wasn't my concern.

The 300 WSM was my first choice with the Badlands 195 gr. Super BD2. Re-16/17 all burned in that barrel and provided sufficient velocity for hunting (2790). Nicely moderated with a suppressor. Do NOT believe the 1:10" twist as suggested. Needs a 1:9".

I like this so much I ordered 5 more barrels which I used other .30 caliber cartridges, all equally successful and as efficient, all burned all the powder including a .30-378 WBY with the 166 Hammer Hunter. The trick is to balance the powder with bullet weight/length to achieve efficiency.

Even the .308 Win. works with that same 166 HH, just a tad slower about ~2600. Good 500 yard deer cartridge.

Pick one. Go shoot!

:)

buckbuster,

Just because you can't doesn't mean it's not correct. Who says you're perfect? The number of variables is large enough that there can be significant differences in velocity which you obviously are not accounting for.

Please do not suggest that what I'm doing is dangerous. Keep your opinions to yourself. To make a statement such as yours is insulting.

:(

Recent Posts