Best short action cartridge for long range

jwcrabb

Guys,
I looking to build a short action rifle to use specificly for whitetail deer out to 400 yds. I know thats not real long range, but more than normal shots. I want to use a Remingtion 700 short action. We hunt in South Texas with long Senderos. I would like to shoot bullets in the 120g range. What caliber do you suggest? Thanks

Me, I don't hunt white tails but I'd go with 7-08 because I've wanted one for a while and it would be great within the range you specified. The 260rem should also do the job for you. Heck, if you really want to play, a 22-250 that can handle heavy bullets would do (you'd have to have a custom 1-7 or 8" twist barrel).

Whitetails at 400yds & in with a remmy short action & 120-ish bullet weight :rolleyes:

Run any of the increasingly popular 6.5's: 6.5Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Remington etc. Load up some 130grain pills & hammer those buggers.

Barrel life will be better than 2k in most cases & ballistics are dern good. OR..... you can go completely overkill like I usually do & chamber for some sort of short magnum :D WSM or SAUM... pick your caliber :rolleyes:

gun)------------------------------------------->>>>

Yessir, bolt fact & mag rails would have to be modified which is no big deal for a
'smith that knows what he's doing.

I bought a 700 S/A in .308 once :rolleyes: That lasted about 40 rounds & it was off to the 'smith... she's a 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot now :D

t

All the following suggestions are given with the intent of using a 26" (or longer) barrel.
The 243 AI with 1-8 twist, .257 Roberts AI (kind of a "middle" action). The .260 Rem (and AI vers) with a 1-8 twist. I would say the 6.5-284Norma, but I think it fits better in a LA too. I have that round in a LA Savage and it is unbelievably accurate and final.
If you're not against opening the bolt face and feed rails then I'd say look at the .270WSM. This is a little hot rod and a show stopper for whitetails. With handloads, this is 7Mag performance.
On this same line, the 7WSM and 300WSM would fit the bill also.
There's a list from .24 - .30 cal. I could be happy (for a short time) with any of these. Good luck and let us know which route you go. JohnnyK.

I think a 284 win throated to fit a 120 or 110 grain Barnes TTSX in the mag would be one heck of a whitetail stopper.:D Do i hear a Bang-Flop???

I think a 284 win throated to fit a 120 or 110 grain Barnes TTSX in the mag would be one heck of a whitetail stopper.:D Do i hear a Bang-Flop???

+1, my mid range hunting rifle is a 284 win shooting the 120TTSX at 3,200 fps....I shoot a coues buck at 412yds last year and this combo worked perfectly, I also have a 6.5Creedmoor for a match rifle and its sweet but for a primary hunting caliber I think the 7mm might have a slight advantage.....

*looks around*

I dont see many supporters for the .300wsm or the 7wsm! ***! Increased barrel life, short action, ballistically similar to their bigger brothers with decreased recoil?!?!?! I mean i love the .260rem but the short mags are definately my favorite when it comes to the short action calibers.

The key here is that the OP is talking about taking diminutive Coues deer at 400 yards and less. The 300WSM and 7mmWSM are needlessly powerful for this application.

I agree with others that the smaller diameter, milder cartridges are what is called for given the parameters specified by the OP. Anything from a .243 to a 6.5 would do nicely.

OK. Then why not recommend a .408 Cheytac or a .50 BMG? Hell, why stop there? The ideal rifle for hunting Coues Whitetail at 400 yards and less is a 155mm artillery piece or a 120 mm main gun mounted in an Abrams for you recoil sensitive sissies.

No such thing as needlessly powerful... That is absurd!

JW- if you have a 700 short action already build a 260 remington ( 8 or 8.5 twist) or a .243 ( 8 twist). hgowever , you could buy a sako 75 or 85 varmint in 260 remington, ( or .243 of course these would be a 10 twist ) and be done. no wait. same price. a remington sendero in 7wsm , or one of the longs actions in .264 or 7mm rm. would get you past 400 yards easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts