Best seating die?

Well, I have the Redding Competition seating die, and I really like it. It's really smooth. It is also, however, kind of pricy. I hear that the Hornady micrometer seater is just as good as the Redding at about half the money. Forster also makes a Mic seater thats supposed to be very good as well. Hope that helps you some.

I use the Forester Ultra seaters.. they work great and bullet runout is kept to a bare minimum!!! Very reasonalbly priced. Infinite .001 adjustments in seating depth.

I have all three (Redding, Forster, and Hornady)... the Redding and Forster are equal in quality... both are outstanding.

My Redding 300WM Competition won't go back in the green box once it has been adjusted (applies to all the long Redding Comp seater dies). I called Redding, and they said that they are "... aware of it".
frown.gif
frown.gif

Also... Redding will NOT make a competition seater in special calibers, even if they do make other dies in that caliber.

Forster WILL make special "Ultra" seaters for any caliber that is in their catalogue! I have one for .218 BEE
shocked.gif

The Hornady is good, but not excellent... but at about $20 a SET (seater and FL sizer) that's a hell of a deal.
Also, because of the way the Hornady is designed, if you have a weird wildcat that Redding or Forster doesn't make, the Hornady seater will seat the bullets.

CatShooter.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

I have redding competition dies too. I bought a fishing tackle organizer for my dies, actually I bought four of them to organize all my stuff, I even sort bullets in one of them. They work great! Just stop by the local sporting goods store.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.