Best Seating Die For Hammer Bullets

Brownsfan

What seating Die are you using to seat your Hammer Bullets? I'm having all kinds of issues with both my 300 WM bench rest and micrometer seating dies from Forster in seating my HH 181 bullets. Everything from bullets sticking in the seating stem, to scuff marks on the sides, and different seating depth each time I lower the press. I spoke to the company, and they are willing to do the work to customize my die, but I'm wondering what everyone else is using.

I'm using a Forster seater for my 7mm RM and 25-06 and haven't had any problems. Just light ring marks in the bullet. Which don't hurt anything. Maybe you have too much neck tension?

I am using Forster Micro Seating die for my 6.5 Creed and notice it will "pop" when lowering the ram, I take that as the bullet being slightly stuck in the stem. However, my CBTO doesn't change and if it does it is by .002, nothing that I see will mess up a hunting round, I also have the round ring around the bullet from the seating stem, but that is more cosmetic, it doesn't effect accuracy for me. I also have a Frankford Arsenal Micro Seater that is for all rifle calibers, universal seater. It doesn't have that "pop" when lowering, it works fine as well, but seemed to have just a hair more runout than the Forster die.

Whichever bullet-specific seating stem fits best in a standard Hornady die. I don't see a point to using a mic die with them, the PDR band is a wide target to hit.

Everything from bullets sticking in the seating stem, to scuff marks on the sides, and different seating depth each time
That sounds like a cracked seating stem. I use Forster dies and have had it happen before. The seating stem on a Forster is very thin and can crack if compressed loads etc are used. You have to look closely at the stem for a small hairline crack. usually you can feel it with your finger. A magnifying glass helps. Also remove the stem from the die and place it on a bullet head and push down, you can often see the crack open up.
If it is cracked, just order another stem from Forster. they know about this issue.... Latter versions of the seating stem are a little thicker.

Redding competition seating die. But I have a VLD stem for bergers and the similar. I didn't like how the VLD stem fit the hammers.

So I took the factory stem that comes in the die. Then put a bullet in my drill with some abrasion paste on the tip. Then held the stem with pliers and spun that bullet inside the stem for a few seconds. Basically reshaping the stem to the hammer bullet shape. It's much smoother now when I lower the case after seating a bullet.

I am acquiring Redding bushing dies for my different cases and bushing as needed. I haven't gotten a seating die as of yet. Reason is I load for several different calibers and bullets or different types, but mostly Accubond. I will be using a Hammer 6mm 100gr in my loads shortly. My older dies are RCBS FL, NS, seating dies for each different calibers. Now I haven't much problems in getting my reloads to be concentric. I take great care in placing the bullet into the mouth of the case to seat the bullet. Nor had much problem with marking the bullet. Now I haven't gotten any Micro seating dies as of yet. I kind of feel that I really don't need them, being I set the COAL for each seating die for that cartridge. I have the equipment to measure the ogive to base of case for each one.
Now if there an universal seating die. Where?

I know of some guys who polish their seating stems and the marking / "pop" goes away. I use ATIP or VLD seating stems, whatever I get a deal on or can find.

I think it was Butterbean that mentioned useing a little JB weld epoxy in the seating stemm. The idea stuck with me.
Basically it should give the exact shape of the bullet you are seating.
Probably need some sort of release agent for the first one.
@ButterBean how exact do you do that? Maybe a video some time when you aren't busy signing autographs due to your new found YouTube fame.

Kris

I think it was Butterbean that mentioned useing a little JB weld epoxy in the seating stemm. The idea stuck with me.
Basically it should give the exact shape of the bullet you are seating.
Probably need some sort of release agent for the first one.
@ButterBean how exact do you do that? Maybe a video some time when you aren't busy signing autographs due to your new found YouTube fame.

Kris
Spray the bullet with Pam cooking spray or any release agent you want to use