Best Scope?

Tempest

Hi all..

If you had enough money to buy a new scope, what would be your choice between Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski? Which one would you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Tempest,

You have to give us alittle more information. What are you going to use this scope for, what kind of travel are you looking for, what gun is it going on ect.

With this information you should get a decent thread going.

Regards,
Ken

Hi all..

If you had enough money to buy a new scope, what would be your choice between Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski? Which one would you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

I see this is your first post on LRH. A question posed this way will only start a ****ing contest between the honk's of their favorite brand.
Try something a little more specific to your intended use and price range and even the rifle you will be putting it on (something besides a gas can with a lit fuse).
UB
p.s. you'll catch on

Thank you again for your replies my friends. I will buy a Remington BDL 7mm rem mag and use it just for long range shooting and planning to pay max 1.500$ for a rifle scope.. I m not interested in hunting..

Regards,

Tempest,
I would suggest for your needs and price range several options, in Leupold look at the 6.5x20x50 LRT or 8.5x25x50 LRT in Zeiss they have many options and are great scopes but you need to decide exactly what options you want. Swarovski is an interesting company they make the best binoculars and spotting scopes IMO (also the best laser rangefinder and little glass dolls if you are into that sort of thing) but as far as rifle scopes they SUCK, great glass but the mechanics are laughable.
other options are Nightforce and S&B.
UB

well i would recommend NF period, the only thing depending being whether you wanted to use it for hunting or just shooting and BR stuff. being you said you didnt care about hunting i would say the NF Benchrest scopes because they are a little cheaper and the 1/8th moa turrets.

If you dont want to go NF then the leupold scopes would be another great option. i like the turrets and the glass of the NF better but it is pretty dang hard to say anything bad about Leupold.

NightforceKen, i aint for sure but i think our rep for NF is Kyle but after seeing you on here i wanted to make sure it wasnt you. this is Steve From Gene Sears Supply, you guys usually deal with BJ for our ordering. I am pretty sure our rep's name is Kyle but seeing you here just got me curious. like i said i dont really do much of the ordering, just selling. anyway glad to see you guys on the board and i just wanted to introduce myself

have a good un
steve

"Swarovski is an interesting company they make the best binoculars and spotting scopes IMO (also the best laser rangefinder and little glass dolls if you are into that sort of thing) but as far as rifle scopes they SUCK, great glass but the mechanics are laughable."

I have to second you here UB. the glass in swaro's stuff is honestly amazing and for a company to have that ability and not branch it into a tactical world, or even offer a target style scope with rigid internal construction is depressing. me and BJ went on a pdog hunt with the one of the heads of North American sales and he said the company just had no interest in getting involved in the tactical realm. have to respect their opinion just wish they would reconsider.

steve

"Swarovski is an interesting company they make the best binoculars and spotting scopes IMO (also the best laser rangefinder and little glass dolls if you are into that sort of thing) but as far as rifle scopes they SUCK, great glass but the mechanics are laughable."

I don't know about that, Steve. My wife collects Swarovski figurines, and not one of 'em will hold zero worth a ****! :mad:

I don't know about that, Steve. My wife collects Swarovski figurines, and not one of 'em will hold zero worth a ****! :mad:

LOL,
That was a good one!

Steve,

Kyle is your Rep. I handle general consumer, non stocking dealers, and some military and LE sales. Nightforce has never really had a person on forums to answer general questions and so forth, thats where I come in.

Tempest,

You can get into a Nightforce for under 1500. We have had a excellent year this year with, several new records this year. John Lewis was one of them that comes to mind. He set a new world record for IBS 600 yard with a Nightforce scope. It is good read and you can see it here,
AccurateShooter.com Daily Bulletin

Regards,
Ken

P.S. does anyone know how to use Hyperlinks here?

As Steve said, the guys at Swa-ROV-ski have no interest in the tactical market for us citizens. Such goes against the grain of UN convention :rolleyes:

At one point, the thinking was that Kahles, needing an identity, would be the tac scopes. Their preliminary offering at SHOT was less than impressive. A stupid reticle and 1/8MOA knobs.

Thanks goodness for Nightforce, a no bones about, no holds barred tactical scope from the ground up gun)

I would recommend Nightforce, USO, and S&B if there were no price in question. Zeiss are very nice scopes but there's a lot about them I'm not a fan of. Leupold are great scopes and will do the job very well also price makes them more attractive. Still to me Nightforce for the dollar value is hard to beat.

Mike @ CSGW

Not desiring to add contention here but a simple question might be what diameter scope do you want. Nightforce is 30 mm and heavier than a 1 inch Zeiss as example. I am also willing to argue that the image through a Zeiss is hard to beat and they even work in dim light. If it is just target shooting he is interested in, there are many who swear by Leupold (for long distance customized of course). I of course would use NF but there would really be forced to justify the scope and have specific reasons for its purchase. Targets are easy to see not sure spending a lot on a target scope is that essential. This is just my opinion of course!

bob chronister

I have several Swaro's and I love them. I have ones for dangerous game and that is a very different scope than a long range scope. Swaro makes some of the best if not the best glass but others have better setups for long range shooting. For your application it would be hard to beat Nightforce. Leupold would be an excelent choice as well. I cannot speak to Nightforces warranty but as for Leupold you cannot beat it. You get your scope back right away. Zeiss has a horrible turn around. Your scope will be gone about 3 months. One of these days I will own a nightforce. I have only heard good things about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.