Best scope for your buck

hope you don't mind if i tag along, but im also in the search for a scope, i would mount it on a rem 700 22-250 which i plan to use for mid range shots... would say 300-500 would be the average maybe up to 650/700 yards pushing it on good conditions(52gr smk bullets). intended target are javalinas, coyotes, whitetail deer, and the occasional hog. would a 8.5-25x50 leupold be to much zoom? or should i settle for a 6.5x20. i tend to like that extra magnification...but im not to sure if the 8.5 to much when it comes to coyotes.
Thanks

I'd go 6.5-20, between those two options, for the targets you identified at those distances.

I don't know that I would be walking around the bush in SA with a 6.5 to 20 scope. The field of view at 6.5 could be way too narrow for a snap shot at dangerous game !
I think I would be fitting a Picatinny rail base and have two scopes in QD mounts . One lower power say 2 to 7 for bush hunting and the more powerful scope for range work and longer range hunting . Get a 1913 milspec rail and two sets of ARMS QD mounts .
Maybe there is no dangerous game where he hunts but , I would not want to ever see that scope image filled with golden yellow hair coming at me and no place to shoot at .

Bullet Bumper.This is simple just wait,wait.... until that furball is almost ontop of you, hold in the middle and sqeeze the trigger.Whatever you do, as long as you have ammo...don't run!
I use big gun's with open sights for hunting big cats and the likes.
I think I will go with a 10 x or maybe 16 x fixed power after all.With good glass I am sure I will get the job done.
REM 243 let me know how this worked out for you.
What I can tell you is that we hardly ever hunt Jackal (I think they are a little bit smaller than Cyotes) with scoped cranked up above 8 power.This is shooting them with 22-250 at aroud 300 yards and less.I don't know how you hunt Cyotes (would love to do it when i am over in the States again) but we hunt Jackal at night calling them with a predator caller limiting the range somewhat.

Bullet Bumper.This is simple just wait,wait.... until that furball is almost ontop of you, hold in the middle and sqeeze the trigger.Whatever you do, as long as you have ammo...don't run!
I use big gun's with open sights for hunting big cats and the likes.
I think I will go with a 10 x or maybe 16 x fixed power after all.With good glass I am sure I will get the job done.
REM 243 let me know how this worked out for you.
What I can tell you is that we hardly ever hunt Jackal (I think they are a little bit smaller than Cyotes) with scoped cranked up above 8 power.This is shooting them with 22-250 at aroud 300 yards and less.I don't know how you hunt Cyotes (would love to do it when i am over in the States again) but we hunt Jackal at night calling them with a predator caller limiting the range somewhat.

Fair enough I get your point. I am not in the US unfortunately . I'm in Australia and we don't have Wolves or Coyotes . We have Dingos and feral dogs . The 243 works real good on feral dogs shooting from a bi-pod with a powerful scope . For walking around the bush I mainly use a 308 W or 30-06 .
No yellow fur balls to worry about but the King Brown snakes can kill you pretty quick and they are very hard to hit with a bullet .
I would never run away from any game , it would be a good death . I'm an ex Vietnam veteran and I've been under fire and all kinds of stress a lion would not bother me .
We hunt a lot at nightime also with spotlights it's an easy way to get game.

Keith...

The one atop my S&W 44 mjagnum has tracked and performed flawlessly for years and she recoils real hard. I have a Japanese (Loe) one. Not sure where they are made/assembled now.

I find the newest Eliminator III to be very interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.