Best scope for long range hunting under $2000

James Kiser

I currently have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope on my 7mm STW. I love the scope, its great but the worst thing is that i lose focus of the reticle alot. At night i cant even see the reticle unless there is a contrast in color. I really like my dads meopta scope with the z plex reticle, i never lose focus on it, but its not powerful enough for my long range needs. I would like a scope that is capable of reaching out to 1500 yards, but have a thicker reticle. What do yall suggest?
JK

I would thing it would be pretty tuff to shoot at that distance accurately with a thick reticle.

What reticle do you have now? I would be looking at changing the reticle and not the scope if it were me. I'm assuming you have a fine reticle like the NP-R1. The other reticle choices offered by NightForce are twice the thickness of the NP-R1 and similar to what you would find in other LR scopes as well. If the standard reticles are still not thick enough for you G-Seven might be able to install there reticle in your NightForce scope. There's is slightly thicker than most others and a nice design IMO.

Should be able to find a used USO around that price pretty easily.

i have the np r1 reticle, it is very fine.

Did you turn on the lighted reticle in low light? I do my range work at night....no problem with seeing the reticle. And, if it fading in and out during the day you need to adjust your OCCULAR lense untill it is crisp and clear. For hunting, in my opinnion, the NP R1 is king!!

Tod

Sorry, i thought i had the np r1, i have the MLR reticle. Im thinking about sending my scope back to nightforce to get a mil dot installed. i just figured out how to turn the illumination on and now i feel like an idiot lol.

Sorry, i thought i had the np r1, i have the MLR reticle. Im thinking about sending my scope back to nightforce to get a mil dot installed. i just figured out how to turn the illumination on and now i feel like an idiot lol.

Don't feel that way...you are not alone on that one. After I baught my first NSX from Bill Shehane at D & B I thought I got the wrong scope. I couldn't find the "button" to turn on the reticle!!! After an embarising phone call it was all better.:)

I would check out the NP-R1. If you have never used the mill dot system, you will need to relearn. I absolutly LOVE the NP-R1!!! But then again, I am to lazy to learn a new system, so..I really can't compare. lightbulb

i have the np r1 reticle, it is very fine.

NF's new MOAR reticle is designed similar to the NPR1 but is about twice as thick I believe. There were a lot of guys complaining about just what you are and the new MOAR reticle should fix it but still provide a precise aiming point.

Scot E.

Not sure if nightforce is FFP or not. But I use a Vortex that has FFP and i've taken it out to 925 yards and I really enjoy the way the retical expands with magnification. I think you'd enjoy that quality as well. Could be wrong though as ive never shot a nightforce.

Not sure if nightforce is FFP or not. But I use a Vortex that has FFP and i've taken it out to 925 yards and I really enjoy the way the retical expands with magnification. I think you'd enjoy that quality as well. Could be wrong though as ive never shot a nightforce.

They have both SFP and FFP.

Scot E.

Im fine with relearning. Its no big deal. Ive shot mil dots a long time. My scope is set up for milliradians. I like the MOAR reticle too. Should i change my scope or just the reticle in yalls opinion

They have both SFP and FFP.

Scot E.

Then the OP just needs to try a FFP. I think that will solve his problem, also an illuminated retical works really well too.

I hear nightforce optics are some of the best. I cant argue as ive never looked through one, but for a hunting scope/occasional long distance rig I have zero qualms with recommending a 1,000$ Vortex Viper PST FFP 6.5x24 50MM.

For the price its difficult to beat, if you do any searches on that scope you'll see everyone tends to agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.