Best scope for long range and hunting?

M_Shock

Forgive me if this has been posted before (feel free to point me towards previous threads that cover this topic).

Let me begin with saying I am no "long range marksmen", so sorry if I sound like I don't have a clue what i'm talking about. I am an avid hunter and would like to extend my ranges to about 800y. Is there a lower end (less then $500) scope that would allow me to shoot out to that range and beyond but still be easy to use in close range hunting situations?

I know that with scopes there is no "one size fits all", but is there something that will get me close?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Forgive me if this has been posted before (feel free to point me towards previous threads that cover this topic).

Let me begin with saying I am no "long range marksmen", so sorry if I sound like I don't have a clue what i'm talking about. I am an avid hunter and would like to extend my ranges to about 800y. Is there a lower end (less then $500) scope that would allow me to shoot out to that range and beyond but still be easy to use in close range hunting situations?

I know that with scopes there is no "one size fits all", but is there something that will get me close?

Thanks in advance
Matt

About the best for the money would be the Vortex Viper line. Whatever power level suits you best but they will come in not too far over your price range.

I like the Leupold MARK 2 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical. The Bushnell turrets are a little mushy and the reticle is a little thick for me but for the most part for the price it is nice. The Leupold MK2 has positive turrets and the reticle is nice and thin.

We do not have our entire items list on our website yet. If we can be of help in getting any scope feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll be sure to check out the scopes you listed.

I normally use a 3-9x40 for hunting, and I'm worried about choosing the right magnification for what I want to do. Seems to me that 3-9 wouldn't be enough to reach out that far. I see there is a Vortex Viper in 3.5-10, would that be sufficient or do I need to move up to the 4-12 range? I'm just worried that if I go with too high of a magnification that it will be useless if I'm presented with a close shot. I guess I need to get myself to a dealer and look through some of them myself, but until then your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

I think you would be safe going with a 4x14 power scope. I was in the same boat as you. Wanted a scope that I could shoot long distances with but still be able to shoot something in close. Hope this helps...

Take a couple of scopes and sight them out to 800 yds at different powers. Which are you comfortable with? Most folks seem to agree that a good scope with good glass is good to 1K at 10X. 9X should be good to 800yds...

Those Super Snipers look good. No zoom though?

Not sure if you've figured this into your budget, but to shoot past 400 yds, you need to know exactley how far your target/game is, which means you need a laser rangefinder. The Nikon 1500 is good to about 700-800 yds. You can get them on ebay for a good price.

Good shooting,

Mark

A range finder is definitely in the plan. Does anyone have experience with the buckmaster line of scopes? They seem to get great reviews.

Reticle suggestions? I'm leaning towards just the regular duplex, but can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages to the mil-dot, and bdc type reticles for hunting?

Thanks,
Matt

I have two buckmasters 6-18x40 with BDC reticle. The BDC reticle is handy sometimes, but not "perfectly" calibrated to my rifles.

The main problem with the BDC is the reticle lines are too thick. When the target or game is way out there, it practically covers them up. You certainly can't "pick a hair" to shoot...

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I won't really know how I feel about it till I look threw one myself, but from the pics they give on the net they all just seem to big and thick (that's what she said:D).

So here is what I have narrowed it down too:

Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA
Elite 3200 5-15x40 Matte Tactical

Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 Niko-Plex

Super Snipers are out cause there is no zoom, which is too bad cause I like everything else about them. I really liked the Leupold's but the one with the magnification that I want only comes with 1/2 MOA adj. and the least amount of total adj. Any personal opinions on the three listed above?

SWFA 3-9x variable scope

SWFA has a 3-9x mil/mil variable scope.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Add to Wishlist
javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl06$Add2Cart$AC','')

For having about the same specs as the others I mentioned, plus only 3-9 magnification it seems a bit pricey. Plus I'm leaning away form the mil-dot reticles for various reasons. I figure with a gun zeroed at 200y you can shoot fairly accurately out too about 400y without adj for drop. If I'm shooting at something further then that, I should have plenty of time to dial in for drop and wind. Plus, I'm sure if you used mil-dots enough one could become proficient with them, but I doubt you could ever get the accuracy that you get when dialing in range and wind. I'm fairly new to all this so maybe I'm way off, but it seems logical to me.

If I'm shooting at something further then that, I should have plenty of time to dial in for drop and wind....I'm fairly new to all this so maybe I'm way off, but it seems logical to me.
Nothing wrong with that at all. But to add something you may not have considered yet, you don't need to dial both drop and wind. I prefer to dial drop and hold wind so a reticle with good reference marks is very useful.

Dialing drop (usually) is pretty quick and mindless--read the range, dial the number. Quick and easy.

Dialing the wind is much more difficult and more of a judgment call. It takes some "thinking" and "observing" before deciding what the final wind hold will be. I find looking through the scope at mirage, movement of foliage around the target, etc, helps me decide while I'm already on the target. Not to mention it'll often change between the time you dial and get on the target so it's sometimes unavoidable.

Anyway, just something to ponder you may not have yet. Of course I suck at reading the wind so don't take it as gospel.... :)

I dial in for shooting LR groundhogs but when hunting deer there's rarely enough time to fool around with knobs. Sometimes you barely have sufficient time to get a laser reading before getting "on target".

I like thin crosshairs too, although they are much more difficult to see in low light. I had Leupold install a "Varmint Reticle" in my Leupy instead of the "Boone & Crocket" reticle. It worked out quite well on my 7STW.

I would stay away from BDC reticles because they wont match your bullet/load. They might be close, but that's only good to maybe 400 yds give or take. Mil dot reticles are good, but might get a little confusing if you're using MOA turrets. Best to stay mildot reticle with milrad teuurets and MOA with MOA if possible..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.