Best Scope For Big Game Rifle

Dimecovers3,
The 280 won't chamber in a 270 factory chamber because of dimensional differences for safety of factory rifles, but making a 280 or 280AI out of the same action is OK. Same bolt face, and I usually use 270 Win brass to make a 280AI because the 270 brass has a tougher web than regular 280 or 06 brass. It just depends on what action length you use. If you stick to 140 gr bullets, the 284 comes close to the 280AI, but with heavier bullets the 280AI is superior. I like the short action and really light rifles, but light is defined by everyone differently. Most factoey syn stocks are not "light" by custom maker weights. But custom stocks are pricey. Again, you get what you pay for in scopes, stocks, custom actions, etc.

since you did say "BIG" game
I would say without a doube the Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42 with either the A4 or A7 reticle. Longer eye relief than zeiss, swarovski and rugged as rugged can be and as bright and clear with the best of them.

I have owned many different scopes and I can tell you that you need to compare each of them side by side. If your eyes cannot see any difference between a Leupold vari x and a swarovski then buy the leupold. The scope is not the most critical item. The shooter is! P.S. What is up with all of the terrible spelling?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.