Best scope for a beginner in long range shooting

Blake smith907

Hello, my name is Blake . I am looking at getting into somewhat long range shooting . And am wondering what scope would be ideal to get . I've been hunting for 10 years , and made many shots out to about 300 yards, but want to be able to extend that to about 800-1000 yards. My buget is 1500$ for my scope . What would you suggest

I would have to recommend the Nightforce SHV. I think this is the most economical scope for what you get. It has great glass quality and very dependable turrets. We teach Long range shooting classes at my range and see a lot of different scopes. One of the first things we do when creating a ballistic profile is check turret accuracy. We do this by using a tall target test to validate a turret is moving your point of impact the way it should. The only scope manufacture we have had zero turret issues with is Nightforce and the vast majority of those scopes have been the SHV. We have also had good results with the Vortex PST but the glass quality is not on par with NF in my opinion.

Hello, my name is Blake . I am looking at getting into somewhat long range shooting . And am wondering what scope would be ideal to get . I've been hunting for 10 years , and made many shots out to about 300 yards, but want to be able to extend that to about 800-1000 yards. My buget is 1500$ for my scope . What would you suggest

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

SFP or FFP?

Blake I am in the same boat as you so to speak. The one I have pretty much chosen so far is the SWFA SS HD 5X20X50. IT'S MIL MIL TOO. worth checking out.

Best of luck

That's why I asked if he's looking for SFP or FFP; I have a non-illuminated version on my .300 WSM and very pleased with it. All my scopes are SFPs except for my last 2 purchases (Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP for $630 and SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP for $1000).

I have to say, I've enjoyed transitioning to FFP. :):Dgun)

Blake I am in the same boat as you so to speak. The one I have pretty much chosen so far is the SWFA SS HD 5X20X50. IT'S MIL MIL TOO. worth checking out.

Best of luck

This is what I use as my primary scope. I acquired a Vortex PST 6-24x50 that will be going on another Savage action when my 6mm Competition Match barrel shows up at the end of the month. I am hoping the Vortex is as solid, reliable, and repeatable as the S.S.HD.

Don Dunlap

Welcome, Blake smith907. This subject is very interesting to me. Maybe I'm confused, but my first concern is is the glass as good as I can get. With that said I have compared lots of scopes and so far the best glass is in the two Nightforces. One is a 12-42X56 and the other is a 5.5-22X56. Next is the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 followed so closely by Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 someone else might choose the VX-6; although two of us preferred the glass in the 6500. Right after the VX-6 came the next 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and then a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 then a Nikon Monarch 3 5-20X44. Then noticeably behind these is a Weaver 6-24X40.

These are all great in low light. I do have another 6500 4 1/2-30X50 that is barely better than the z5 during the day but falls behind if the sun goes behind a cloud. That is no exaggeration!

The adjustments are very good in the Nightforces and Nikon. Next is the 6500 and the z5. The VX-6 is so mushy it is almost indiscernible when a click actually happens. I have no idea how repeatable they are since I click only when sighting them in.

One very fun thing about the Bushnell. Recently I took one and the Nikon and the Weaver to the shooting range early on a foggy morning. While putting up targets and setting up the old chronograph the lenses on the Nikon and Weaver scopes fogged on the outside lenses. The Bushnell didn't. I guess the hydrophobic coating works.

I'm new to long range shooting as well. Thinking about getting the NF SHV as I like all the review I have read along with the ease of functions.. Good luck Blake and let me know what you decided to get.

Consider the Sightron SIII LR series scopes too. Great glass and reliable tracking, very good budget long range scopes.

I would think the she would serve you well. Another couple to consider would be the Burris xtrii, viper pst genii are also good scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.