Best scope for 600-700 yards?

FASTEYE

Hi I've got Remington 700 tactical .308 on it's way.

I'm in the process of choosing a scope.

What would be the best scope magnification for this type of range (600-700yards).

In Australia I'm limited to the amounts of brands available.

I was looking at the Super Sniper but they won't send them out to Australia.

The brands I'm looking at are Zeiss / Leupoid / Truglo and Swarouski.

Any help would be most appericated.

Jason

I think you should first decide how much you are willing to spend, or tell us which models of those brands you are interested in. Of those you listed, I only have experience with Leupold, so that is the one I would recommend. You can also tell us what you plan on shooting with your 308. That will help us give you better advice.

Sorry about the lack of info.

I'm planning to shoot targets at first but then later on hunting once I'm confident in long range shots.

I was looking at the Zeiss Conquest. They are around the $900.00 mark in Aus.

The super sniper scopes I have no idea what model.

The Leupoid VX-III they are all around $1000 AU

The Truglo TRU BRITE ILLUMINATED RIFLE SCOPE and that's about $450AU.

I haven't yet looked at any Swarouski models yet but was told that I should also consider them.

I was looking to spend up to $1200AU.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Of the ones you've listed I'd recommend the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with the fine duplex.

I found that its optics were 3 rungs above a VX-III and one rung below a Sawaro.

10X may be sufficient, 16x is better and 20x is great for the distance you mention. It is good that the SuperSniper isn't available there. Its great for targets in the daylight but 16X was unacceptable for hunting during dim light conditions.

Thanks for the heads up on the super sniper and the advice for the Zeiss.

I was told the Zeiss is the best option but just need alot of $$.

I've just found a site that will ship a IOR Valdada Tactical 4-14x50 30mm for around $1200.00

Any pros and cons on the IOR?? They look really good but not sure about the quality.

Cheers

Jason

Do a search on IOR. There has been some talk of the early release units with the First Focal Plain (FFP) reticles being defective.

One of the sponsors here has a shipment of the new ones arriving shortly.

They are a great scope with no problems, that I know of, with the Second Focal Plain models.

Roll-your-own, on this board sells them and I'm bettin' he'd ship to your neck of the planet. And his prices are good.

With an moa or mil dot reticle the FFP reticle is the way to go. The reticle calibration is constant across the power range.

I narrowed my choices to IOR or Zeiss and the Zeiss won due to $ saving and reputation plus i was quickly availablty.

CHeck with the optic sponsors here, they have sales on display and show models which have the Zeiss lifetime warranty still good. That's how I got mine. The price was on the order of 650.00 USD.

Good luck and good night.

Roy

Thank you so much for your help Roy.

You've given me a clear path to follow.

I love the look of an IOR but your right the Zeiss are cheaper.

Thanks again.

Cheers and good night.

Jason

I've got the 4.5-14X Zeiss Conquest with Mil-dot reticle. 44 mm objective with target turrets. Significantly better glass than Leupold VX3s. You may want the 20x power that Roy has recommended but if you're happy with a top power of 14X, I find this scope to be quite a bargain in quality for the money. Light transmission on the Zeiss Conquest is much better than the Leupold VX3s. Better than my IOR 3-18x also when set to the same power settings. The IOR does provide better resolution, but it cost twice as much and weighs almost twice as much. I like the IOR better in the light of day, and I like the IOR reticle much better than the Zeiss mil-dot. But again, I consider the Zeiss Conquest to be quite a bargain. A darn good scope for the money.

Do a search on IOR. There has been some talk of the early release units with the First Focal Plain (FFP) reticles being defective.

One of the sponsors here has a shipment of the new ones arriving shortly.

They are a great scope with no problems, that I know of, with the Second Focal Plain models.

Roll-your-own, on this board sells them and I'm bettin' he'd ship to your neck of the planet. And his prices are good.

With an moa or mil dot reticle the FFP reticle is the way to go. The reticle calibration is constant across the power range.

I narrowed my choices to IOR or Zeiss and the Zeiss won due to $ saving and reputation plus i was quickly availablty.

CHeck with the optic sponsors here, they have sales on display and show models which have the Zeiss lifetime warranty still good. That's how I got mine. The price was on the order of 650.00 USD.

Good luck and good night.

Roy

IMHO, Luepold is the way to go, if people ask me what to get its what I suggest without hesitation, clear, rugged and if they fail, repaired no questions asked, all for free(except frieght)
$40 from NZ had mine back in a month.

A friend of mine had a IOR, sold it and got himself a 8.5-25 VXIII and loves it.

I will leave you with this to think about, the IOR my mate got was about $2400 NZ the Luepold was $1400 NZ, the IOR was not $1000 better than the Luepold.

My only wish to Luepold is that they make a bigger vari power scope
say 12-42 would be great!

I would suggest up to 20 x magnification for that range too, I have a spare 4.5-14 VXIII that Im putting on my 300WSM for ranges out to 500 yrds which I think will be plenty,another mate has a 4-10 on his 300WSM Savage and hes wacking the crap out of the 10" 500 yrd gong.

The reticle is another thing to consider too, for me I just use a plain olde duplex, none of this fancy TMR, Mildot,Boone and Crocket bla bla BS, most of the guys on here will "click" their windage and elevation on, so I think these fancy reticles have their place but if you have the time and confidence you will click.

Best of luck

300WSMAD

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I really like the price for quality that the Zeiss gives, but just a question. Which of the two is smaller in size? The IOR or the Zeiss?

I'm also still looking at the Leupoid so at the moment I'm really just comparing the three to see which is cheaper but still good for quality.

I really need something to be decent at night as well so I've got around $1200 to use but I would like to save also at the same time.

The 600 - 700 yard mark is a must so I really need something that can view that range clearly.

Thanks again everyone, it's been really good advice.

Jason

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I really like the price for quality that the Zeiss gives, but just a question. Which of the two is smaller in size? The IOR or the Zeiss?

Jason

The Zeiss Conquest will weigh less than the IORs, and probably be dimensionally smaller as well. But you should be able to check this out on the various available web sites.

Most think the great warranty service from Leupold is free, but it's built into the price of the scopes they sell - I guarantee it. The Zeiss Conquest glass will transmit more light than the Leupolds - no question about it in my comparisons. I even compared it to my Leupold LPS (which was Leupold's premier scope at that time) and the Conquest still transmitted more light. Leupolds are good reliable scopes, but the glass is inferior to the Zeiss Conquest - my personal experiences and opinion.

I've just checked with my custom's office here in Aus. Theres no restrictions for importing scopes.

So if I can find someone in the US willing to ship to Aus I'll be sticking to either the IOR if Johnny can give me and good price or second the Zeiss Conquest.

It's just so much cheaper from where you guys are. The Zeiss conquess some dealers are selling them for $2000k plus!!

Cheers
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.