Best Sausage Gravy Recipe - HOMEMADE

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Good evening!
Been watching a show on Ranching and brought back memories about doing some "Cowboying" and "Hunting".
I am only currently only eating about one meal a day. Maybe at 3 to 5 Pm or when Jill gets home, and we both eat at around 6-7PM.
I really liked Breakfast when I would go to the PA for hunting trips and stayed with my second Dad to hunt & fish. He was like my best friend for over 55 years. I would go with my friend to Breakfast and about 4-5 of his other senior friends. We would all meet at a different restaurant every Tuesday to Friday.
I always liked several options.
Eggs over easy with hash Browns, Rye Toast, big sausage links, Corn beef Hash, sausage/gravy/biscuits and a few slices of garden ripe tomatoes. Good cup of coffee (I almost never drink coffee except with this meal)
OR
Scrambled eggs "Hard" same as above.

I think that having Breakfast with these gentlemen that were meeting for years, along the stories that were told, were way better than the food!

What is your favorite "Sausage/Gravy" recipe?

It is a simple recipe but has different ways to make it.
We have made it with Domestic Pork, Wild Pork, & Venison with flour & seasonings.

Can't wait to try some that others have made and we have not tried already.
Going in for spinal cord surgery and want to try something different soon!

Thanks
Len & Jill

Ah! one of my favorites. I use Jimmy Dean sausage but any good sausage will do. Fry and drain one small pack of sausage in 12" cast iron pan. With grease in pan heat on med-Hi heat when hot put enough plain flour to make a rau. when the rau is like a paste pour 1 cup of heavy cream in and stir. I stir with a spatula so as to remove everything from the bottom of the pan. As soon as the rau and cream are mixed pour in more cream until you have enough to serve 4 people at least a pint. stir contuniously until it is thickened to your desired consistancy. pour crumbled sausage back into the gravy and stir and serve hot on hot biscuits. A little fresh ground black pepper helps. You can also use half-and-half. It will just take longer to thicken.

Ah! one of my favorites. I use Jimmy Dean sausage but any good sausage will do. Fry and drain one small pack of sausage in 12" cast iron pan. With grease in pan heat on med-Hi heat when hot put enough plain flour to make a rau. when the rau is like a paste pour 1 cup of heavy cream in and stir. I stir with a spatula so as to remove everything from the bottom of the pan. As soon as the rau and cream are mixed pour in more cream until you have enough to serve 4 people at least a pint. stir contuniously until it is thickened to your desired consistancy. pour crumbled sausage back into the gravy and stir and serve hot on hot biscuits. A little fresh ground black pepper helps. You can also use half-and-half. It will just take longer to thicken.
Awesome YES!!
Thnaks

This is very timely my wife just made fresh sourdough biscuits, snow is in the forecast rifles need to be bedded and cases loaded think I'll take one of you guys recipe and make a big batch of biscuits and gravy!

SCRAPPLE! Oh heck yes! Went along time without it unless we went back to PA. and loaded our bags coming back to Colorado with that, pork roll and tasty cakes . Since then, we've been able to get the scrapple and pork roll out here but no tasty cakes. Didn't mean to high jack your thread coyote but your talking about good food and I'm hungry
All those years eating breakfast in PA and no mention of scrapple? I'm slightly suspicious of you good sir. 😆

Take a deer or antelope tenderloin and cube it into 1/4" chunks. Fry it in some bacon grease or oil with some chopped onion.
Make your white gravy with the oil, using flour and milk as usual... adding salt and lots of pepper.

Any tender meat will do. I also use that thin sliced Carl Buddig smoked ham and chop it up for a change up on occasion.

You are welcome! 😉

SCRAPPLE! Oh heck yes! Went along time without it unless we went back to PA. and loaded our bags coming back to Colorado with that, pork roll and tasty cakes . Since then, we've been able to get the scrapple and pork roll out here but no tasty cakes. Didn't mean to high jack your thread coyote but your talking about good food and I'm hungry
If you really knew what was in SCRAPPLE and how it is made you would not eat it or MAYBE you would.
For those of you that have partaken in the meal of fried Scrapple please tell everyone what the ingredients are!
Yes as I stated I had Scrapple many times, but not a fan of it, nor would i buy it again.