Best route to avoid Dallas, Tx

Laelkhunter

Our annual Elk hunting trip from New Orleans to Chama, NM leads us through Dallas, Tx. We normally end up taking 20 to I-635, then 35E to Denton, then take 380 to Decatur. We then head North on 287 to Amarillo. Last year on advice of a friend we got off of 20 at Tyler, Tx then went North to 380, and eventually ended up at Decatur, but it took 90 minutes longer that way. Too many traffic lights once we got onto 380.
It seems no matter what day or time of day we travel through Dallas, there is always traffic problems, and/or construction.
Can anyone that is local to Dallas, or has successfully traveled that way give me the best route to avoid traffic problems, hopefully bypass Dallas altogether, but not take us too far off of our regular route?
Thanks

I guess by the lack of replies, that apparently everyone that goes that way just goes through Dallas and "hopes for the best"??
There doesn't seem to be any way around "Big D".

I live in N LA and we go thru Dallas on our way to WY. We just try to schedule our departure so that we are not passing thru during rush hour(s) traffic. I still nearly break a sweat driving in that rat race pulling a 16' trailer loaded down.

I live in N LA and we go thru Dallas on our way to WY. We just try to schedule our departure so that we are not passing thru during rush hour(s) traffic. I still nearly break a sweat driving in that rat race pulling a 16' trailer loaded down.

I know what you mean. One year, we trailered my Harley to ride the mountains in NM and Colo during "down time" before and after the hunt.
Somewhere on the Dallas I-635, someone committed suicide by jumping off an overpass and landed on a car that drug him a ways, then several other cars drug him even further. Needless to say, it was a nightmare with traffic backed up forever, and having to exit while they"cleaned up" the roadway and did the investigation. It set us back 4 hours ( I feel for the victim and his family-so sad he had to do that). We had no idea where we were going, and it was most difficult with a trailer. People all in a hurry, but there was no where to go.

I guess we have to leave at about 4:00am, that would put us in Dallas at about noon.

I have received a suggestion to stay on I-20 past Dallas, then take I-35w in Ft. Worth, continue North on I-35w until I get to 287, then continue on 287 to Decatur. I am told that there is a lot less traffic in Ft. Worth once you get past Dallas.
Another choice would be 20 to 820 north, then to 287, on to Decatur.
According to my map, 820 is a tollroad. Anyone know where the toll booth is in relation to I-20, and what the cost is?
Thanks again

As you found out 820 isn't a toll road but the road construction around it will slow you d o w n ! It would be better to take the toll President George Bush tollway and they will bill you.

You might try I-20 to US-69 up to Greenville. Then it is 380 across the N. of Dallas, McKinney to Denton to Decatur. I am not from there, never driven around there, and just looked at the map so it may be worse. Look at map quest to see what I am talking about.

You might try I-20 to US-69 up to Greenville. Then it is 380 across the N. of Dallas, McKinney to Denton to Decatur. I am not from there, never driven around there, and just looked at the map so it may be worse. Look at map quest to see what I am talking about.

That's the route we tried last year (in my OP I stated got off 20 at Tyler, but failed to say we were on 69). That way took us 90 minutes longer. Once we got on 380, the stop lights and local traffic were terrible, so we scratched that off of the list as a way to go.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited:
evening, take 35 west thru Fort Worth, much less traffic, same good roads u will enter 35 south going Austin, just before Austin there is a toll road. if u take the toll road. the cameras will take a picture of ur license plate and texas will send u the bill. make sure a pay, the bill increases in time and tex will send the bill to ur state police.

just countrylightbulb

I would try this route: 10 w. to 49 n.w. to 82 w. in Texarkana to 35 n. in Gainsville TX. to 40 w. in OK. City Oklahoma to 84 n. in NM.

Never thought about that way. Have you used it yourself? Once, we went through Dallas and up 35 to Oklahoma City, then took 40 to Clines Corner, NM. It seemed liked forever before we got to Okla City, especially after fighting the Dallas traffic.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.