Best round for deer & hog hunting

I've shot them with bow, 22lr, 5shot, 00, and a lot of rifle calibers 223, 3006, 308, 2506, 6.5x55, 6.5cm, 280, 8x57. My go to is 300blk, but we have small deer here. I seldom care to recover the pigs; if I do I head shoot otherwise center mass so they run off. For a multi purpose I would lean towards 6.5 creedmoor.

Hi folks, I'm posting this here because I did not know where else to. I'm am about to buy a new rifle for deer and hog hunting. Was thinking .308, but I wanted to get some input if you all thought there was a better caliber for these types of hunts. Thank you in advance for any information.
You answered the question! .308!

Hi folks, I'm posting this here because I did not know where else to. I'm am about to buy a new rifle for deer and hog hunting. Was thinking .308, but I wanted to get some input if you all thought there was a better caliber for these types of hunts. Thank you in advance for any information.
I use 300 blackout for hog hunting and short 100 yards or less for deer

.308 for all around bullet choices and now 6.5 Creedmoor now that options are everywhere. ...............308!
Depending on where you are hunting deer and the size these calibers would prob be my first two choices
If you wanted you could also get a 300 win mag and shoot 168 or 180 gr bullets at higher speeds and still be able to shoot 215 gr loads for elk and moose or bigger deer

First RSRW do you reload?
If not this information will not work for you but I have killed black bears,deer,hogs,some extremely large with a 308 and since I reloaded for 32 win special I bought a hand reloader for 308 and used 150 gr Nosler Partitions and killed anything that I wanted dead.
There are way more bullet size choices for 30 cal rifles than any other caliber.I have killed deer with 120 gr bullets to 220 grs and the 150 gr and 165 gr,168 gr does all you need.
At least 2 different people mentioned the Sierra 165 gr Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet #2140 and if you reload this bullet will kill beyond belief.The hollow point is crimped and does not open right away but slowly it opens up and stops the bigest meanest hogs on earth!
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.