Best Rifle Sling for those that walk a lot. IMO

Losthwy

Best Rifle sling I have tried is Slogan. For functionally I have not seen a better product. Not the fanciest lots of slings out there that look far better. But most useful I have used. One thing it does it stays on my shoulder without slipping better than any I have tried. If you do a lot of walking with a rifle on your shoulder give this a look. Made of rubber. Since it's a double strap sling you can strap on your back like a backpack when going over rough obstacles. The link has a video that shows the features of this sling.
www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html

X2 on slogan outdoors. I own one standard and one in the magnum. To do it over again I would have both on the magnum sling. Just my preference I like the extra surface area on my shoulder.

I also like the Slogan sling for long hauls. I also use Sinclair Montana slings and Turner Saddlery. I need to get two more Slogans and mount them on my hunting rifles.

Another plug for the Slogan sling. I recently put one on a new Tikka 7mm-08. I've tried it with several of my hunting jackets and the slogan stays put on your shoulder. I will be buying a couple more for my other hunting rifles.

Slogan all the way. I have both versions. I use the magnum version at about 12+lbs. Best sling made

I have been promoting the Slogan on this site for years, and own a few of them. I use nothing else on my rifles, and all the leather ones or other ones I own just sit in my hunting room doing nothing but dry out and get brittle. :D

I've been using an Uncle Mikes Mountain sling for years and years. I like it because it is a simple 1" thin nylon, adjustable lightweight sling. It has a section of rubber like material on it to keep it from sliding off your shoulder. It's detachable swivels are stout. I like it because it doesn't "swing like a pendulum" and mess with my aim if I shoot offhand, or make a snap shot rather. I also like it because I can remove it, roll it up and place in a pocket if I am in the puckerbrush. I have friends in Texas who like the big leather slings with decorative carving and big thick leather pad for the shoulder. They use it from the pick up to the blind ( from 50 to 100yds away) and even use the pad to "pad" their forearm on the window edge, ha. As an Army vet, I really got used to the M16's little nylon sling so I guess the Mountain sling is just an upgrade on it. I just don't like a heavy, swinging sling when shooting offhand and I also keep the weight down even when using a butt cuff elastic ammo holder, I don't want the handling characteristics messed with. As you can tell, 99% of the time I hunt with what the Brits call a "stalking rifle". A heavier, bulkier rifle for prairie or long range can sure benefit from a thicker, wider sling as I don't shoot them offhand like that. I'm more of a sitter/crossticks kind of guy. I've only been able to shoot prone a few times, due to terrain, even in South Africa and Namibia.

I also own slogan slings ... one standard and another magnum size. They have become the only sling that I use. Along with how grippy they are staying on my shoulder, I love being able to split apart the straps and wear like a backpack on both shoulders. That works great when you're scrambling over really tough/steep terrain or packing/carrying quarters and need both hands free.

I have always used the safari sling and love it. The down side is when wearing a back pack the strap digs into your neck. I might have to give one of the slogans a try!

My rifle is right at 13 pounds. The Slogan works as advertised, but if it's warm out and you are only wearing a t-shirt it tends to chafe a little more than my other slings. Wearing it backpack style is ok with a jacket, but with my extended magazine and no flush cups it doesn't lay flat against the back and becomes somewhat uncomfortable in some positions. YMMV.

I'm still hunting for a sling I'm happy with. The Montana sling is nice as well as some of the thicker web type tactical slings that have built in position cuffs. It could be that a scabbard with a shoulder backpack harness may be the best option for carrying my 13 pound rifle without bipod. I already have my packpack configuration, it's after I am walking shorter distances (2-3 miles) or need to have the rifle slung while doing other things. If you aren't comfortable then you aren't concentrating on the important things, just your discomfort. Getting old is not for whimps (61).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.