Best rifle scabbard and saddle bags for back country horseback hunting

My appy was herd bound when I bought him but didn't know. He tried that crap once - a full sprint back to the barn through unknown woods and fields . Figured I'd been too gentle and needed to show him who was alpha.
Cured that rubbish right quick.
Had a friend who hunted with his paso fino, a truly remarkable horse and rider pair, but never once found myself wishing to own another horse.
After that happened he told me to find a stick and carry it with me. I did. I just had to show it to him when he acted up. He was a big horse. Nobody else could get up on him. Lol. Had another in Co. that liked to walk right at the edge of the trail on down the mountain side. Liked to walk you into trees also. Horse hunter I reckon.

Your story reminds me when I went picked up 1/2 dozen horses for a friend .Then used them to hunt while there,told me the old gray real gentle.Keep running me into trees and had head cocked around looking down hill,I kept pulling him around.Finally I get off and discover hes blind in one eye.HA,after that we where good.

If you don't own the horse, it will know the second you touch him whether or not he will be a royal PITA. They just sense your experience and diligence before they take one step. If I am allowed, I prefer to saddle my mount so he knows who I am and realizes oh oh no fun today. Even if I don't saddle him up, I still do minor adjustments or even stretch his legs out for clean girth. Heck I even pick his feet to clean him up and that also shows and tells him oh oh no fun today. Once it has been conveyed you are the "man", the ride can be a lot more pleasant. How you hold the reins and bit pressure will tell him all he needs to know as well.

I used an outfitter that was short on horses one trip and he knew I could "ride" so he gave me an App that was a bit green but that was one of the best rides I ever had going up or down. Very personable horse and once he knew I was with him it was a really cool ride. Surefooted, powerful, responsive, friendly and I could tell he appreciated how I gave him relief riding down steep spots. When we stopped for rest, he would nudge his nose up on my shoulder so I could rub his neck. The outfitter wanted to know if I wanted to buy him since it will likely be lost without me😂. Horses are extremely perceptive on your ability and no different than a 5 year old, will test you until you show them No. This doesn't mean physical dominance so much as being in total control. Big difference between the two concepts. This is really hard to do if you have never owned a horse or have not ridden very much and all you can do is hope the horse is docile and trained such it doesn't care who is on his back. Most are like that but there are always a few that provide "excitement".

Which is why all states have "ride at your own risk, it is an inherent danger to ride a horse and accept all liabilities from doing so". Yippy Ky Yay!

If you don't own the horse, it will know the second you touch him whether or not he will be a royal PITA. They just sense your experience and diligence before they take one step. If I am allowed, I prefer to saddle my mount so he knows who I am and realizes oh oh no fun today. Even if I don't saddle him up, I still do minor adjustments or even stretch his legs out for clean girth. Heck I even pick his feet to clean him up and that also shows and tells him oh oh no fun today. Once it has been conveyed you are the "man", the ride can be a lot more pleasant. How you hold the reins and bit pressure will tell him all he needs to know as well.

I used an outfitter that was short on horses one trip and he knew I could "ride" so he gave me an App that was a bit green but that was one of the best rides I ever had going up or down. Very personable horse and once he knew I was with him it was a really cool ride. Surefooted, powerful, responsive, friendly and I could tell he appreciated how I gave him relief riding down steep spots. When we stopped for rest, he would nudge his nose up on my shoulder so I could rub his neck. The outfitter wanted to know if I wanted to buy him since it will likely be lost without me😂. Horses are extremely perceptive on your ability and no different than a 5 year old, will test you until you show them No. This doesn't mean physical dominance so much as being in total control. Big difference between the two concepts. This is really hard to do if you have never owned a horse or have not ridden very much and all you can do is hope the horse is docile and trained such it doesn't care who is on his back. Most are like that but there are always a few that provide "excitement".

Which is why all states have "ride at your own risk, it is an inherent danger to ride a horse and accept all liabilities from doing so". Yippy Ky Yay!
One of the very best pieces of advice I've seen. He's 150% right on everything he's saying.

Sometimes you have no choice but to smack them to get their attention BUT physical abuse will get you no where with ANY animal especially a horse. Its a collaboration with a horse, you ask/tell a horse what to do and they have to want to do it. Partly to please you but also because they want to do it. They still require discipline but there is a huge difference between discipline and beating the crap out of them. I was a blacksmith for 3 years many moons ago and you learned real fast how to manage and train a horse that wasn't yours. Or else you got your butt handed to you. I had a western block quarterhorse that cow kicked me the first hour I owned him. I "encouraged" him to never do that again and he never did. He would run thru a wall for me which was an indicator of our collaboration. I ended up giving him away many years later since my real professional career had taken off. He was 28 years old, still ran like a 10 year old. Horses can and will try your ability to maintain composure under so many circumstances. One of the reasons I like to use an outfitter is to have the "horse experience" once again. What is really nice is it is like grandkids, have fun and hand them back!😂

Yeah agree. No one wants to see a horse running through the bush armed. Keep the rifle off the horse on yourself so if you get bucked off, you have the rifle readily available to shoot that **** horse!!! Must one tag a horse??? :) :) :)

I have spent many thousands of hours hunting, scouting and packing in camps on horses and mules. I have never seen anyone with experience carry their rifle on their shoulder.
Should also consider instead of saddlebags, use a small backpack on the other side of your scabbard. This will help balance the saddle and keep the weight forward, which is easier on the stock.
Most small packs have a loop on top, put it over the saddle horn.

Well, the trail max worked out well today!!

Rode up on top of a mountain, glassed this buck up about two miles back as the crow flies, watched him bed, then rode over to the bowl he was in, tied up the horses, walked about 200 yards, and sure enough he was still bedded under that tree. My wife made a perfect shot at 400 yards, we got the horses, rode up to him, cut him up, put him in the panniers, and rode out. A little over 8 miles round trip, started with 850 ft elevation up in the first mile, then down 1000 ft elevation and back up 750 ft elevation in the next 3ish miles over to the buck, then up 350 ft more elevation to the buck after he was shot, then down 1100 ft and back up 1000 ft in the next 3ish miles, then down 850 ft in the last mile back to the truck.

Most of it was on elk trails, with a small portion just working our way through the terrain to stay concealed from the buck. The pommel bags, saddle bags, rifle scabbard, as well as crossbuck saddle and panniers did great. Before we just had the panniers that threw over the saddle, figured we would get a dedicated set up, and it is much better and way more stable.

The horse I was riding was an old horse that my parents have had for a while, he is 17. He was broke back when he was about 3, then not ridden more than a handful of times until about three weeks ago. My father in law got out here and got to work on him, and it is amazing the difference, the man is truly talented. Though he was slower than my father in laws horses, and needed more breaks, he handled all of it astoundingly well, crawled over all sorts of logs and downed trees, climbed up/down some very steep trails, and kept a very cool head the whole time.

This was only the fourth time or so I have ridden him, and him and I just mesh really well, even though my father in laws other horses have way more training on them, this paint and I get along really well, and I prefer him. He has a ton of heart!

Too late now but the company that's makes these are in Cody and they work awesome !

Well, the trail max worked out well today!!

Rode up on top of a mountain, glassed this buck up about two miles back as the crow flies, watched him bed, then rode over to the bowl he was in, tied up the horses, walked about 200 yards, and sure enough he was still bedded under that tree. My wife made a perfect shot at 400 yards, we got the horses, rode up to him, cut him up, put him in the panniers, and rode out. A little over 8 miles round trip, started with 850 ft elevation up in the first mile, then down 1000 ft elevation and back up 750 ft elevation in the next 3ish miles over to the buck, then up 350 ft more elevation to the buck after he was shot, then down 1100 ft and back up 1000 ft in the next 3ish miles, then down 850 ft in the last mile back to the truck.

Most of it was on elk trails, with a small portion just working our way through the terrain to stay concealed from the buck. The pommel bags, saddle bags, rifle scabbard, as well as crossbuck saddle and panniers did great. Before we just had the panniers that threw over the saddle, figured we would get a dedicated set up, and it is much better and way more stable.

The horse I was riding was an old horse that my parents have had for a while, he is 17. He was broke back when he was about 3, then not ridden more than a handful of times until about three weeks ago. My father in law got out here and got to work on him, and it is amazing the difference, the man is truly talented. Though he was slower than my father in laws horses, and needed more breaks, he handled all of it astoundingly well, crawled over all sorts of logs and downed trees, climbed up/down some very steep trails, and kept a very cool head the whole time.

This was only the fourth time or so I have ridden him, and him and I just mesh really well, even though my father in laws other horses have way more training on them, this paint and I get along really well, and I prefer him. He has a ton of heart!
Nice job Cody!

At 17 he is definitely level headed and sounds like a great ride! Its always nice when your plan works as "planned"! Hopefully he won't mind smell of blood!