Best Reticle Options in Scopes???

Ernie

SPONSOR
I am interested in your opinion of what the best reticle's you can get for LR hunting from the different manufacturer's.
In other words, which is the best reticle that Leupold, Burris, NF, and others, etc. offer that you would choose?
Would also like to get a clearer picture of custom reticles that are available.
I understand that after a certain point there is going to be some "knob twisting" and for some that is all you will do.
I like to have the option of using ballistic reticles for shots or running clicks.
I am using more rifle scopes now and am trying to get a clearer picture of the field.
Thanks for your insight in this area.

Ernie,
That is a great question - like brand allegiance with optics there is also reticle allegiance among shooters. I like the Nightforce NP-R2 reticle for both range and hunting. Simple, fast to work with, accurate for my needs. I also have a lot of mildot equiped scopes but prefer the R2 because I don't do mils to minutes to inches that well. Mildots are nice holdoff reticles tho if you spend a bunch of time in the field determining where the dots coincide with your trajectory.
Good luck, hopefully you will get some good info here.

[ QUOTE ]
Ernie,
That is a great question - like brand allegiance with optics there is also reticle allegiance among shooters. I like the Nightforce NP-R2 reticle for both range and hunting. Simple, fast to work with, accurate for my needs. I also have a lot of mildot equiped scopes but prefer the R2 because I don't do mils to minutes to inches that well. Mildots are nice holdoff reticles tho if you spend a bunch of time in the field determining where the dots coincide with your trajectory.
Good luck, hopefully you will get some good info here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ern -- I agree with Ian

-- the NPR2 lets you range with better resolution than mils, and the best part is the turrets are in the same unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mine is dead nuts MOA (1.00" at ~96yds)

IMHO it greatly depends on the caliber youre using. If its a flat shooter like a hot 7mm or 300 mag the NP-R2 is VERY versitle. If its not so flat such as the 308 or something along those lines the MilDot is tough to beat. Thats not to say an NP-R2 is worthless on a 308 or a MilDot is worthless on a 300 RUM. Whatever you decide, learn how to use it well and you will most likely do well with either.

Another vote for the NP-R2 although I am now using the Night Force MLR and I like it a lot. Depending on the maximum distance you are wanting to shoot, there is nothing wrong with using a ballistic plex or B&C reticle and work in reverse. That is, sight in at the longest yardage and work forward where a MOA has less effect.

For one load in one rifle a custom reticle from Premier is hard to beat.

Although i haven't put it on anything yet, i really the Rapid Reticle as it provides great direct windage reference without being too busy. It's a FFP ballistic reticle that's calibrated for a specific trajectory, but that's not a problem, simply calculate the stadia in MOA, and match it to the load's trajectory. It has shorter line and dot stadia between the main stadia at the 25, and 50% point as u go down the reticle to the longer ranges also. Right here-- www.rapidreticle.com

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.