best replacement Rem firing pin assembly

jlvandersnick

I have a Rem 700 j-lock firing pin assembly I need to replace.

Any recommendations?
Do the lighter weight ...fluted or speed-lok type systems make a difference?
Is there a reason to avoid an aluminum bolt shroud?
Is there anything out there in particular to avoid?

Thanks
Jerry

I have used Tubbs speedlock/FP assemblies for years. I personally think they make a difference. while I am not a LR shooter, I am a still hunter who shoots a lot "off hand". A light trigger/fast lock time have allowed me to make some dandy "thread the hole" shots on a lot of game! I'm sure there are others out there, besides Tubbs, but his is all I have used. Good luck to you!

Whichever one you get, get the spring removal tool!
I forget which spring I got the last time I changed one in my F-TR rifle. Something from Brownells.

The lightweight pins are .060 as a rule so you will need to have your firing pin bushed to the smaller hole. Gretan Rifles does this for 80(to start) if he says 5-8wks it's 9-12wks. Mine was 12wks. LRI also does this service as do many other smiths on their builds. LRI has done a few things for me and the turn around has been less than 3wks on everything so far.
Alot of smiths can bush a firing pin finding one that can do it in a timely fshion is the 64,000.00 question

I had a lightweight pin/spring on my Edge for the better part of 10 years. Spring went south on a nice Kansas buck a couple years ago. Click, click, click and gone. Went back to standard pins and springs after that.

I had a lightweight pin/spring on my Edge for the better part of 10 years. Spring went south on a nice Kansas buck a couple years ago. Click, click, click and gone. Went back to standard pins and springs after that.
Hearbreaker!
What actually caused the spring failure? Compression or did the spring break or what?

Not enough compression. Went out a couple days later and tried to dump a coyote. Took three tries but I got him. Came home, replaced the pin/spring assembly and life had been good since.

None of my factory stuff has ever had a problem. I'll stick with that.

For hunting conditions, I stick with the factory springs. My LR rifles are +10#, with precision being impervious to any inertia or bolt jump. I do pay careful attention to the inspection, cleaning,lubrications points, and choice of lubricant used in the bolt assembly I have found trigger selection has been far more influential for maximizing precision and accuracy.
This came up in a discussion a few weeks ago in another thread. Thought it might be worth reviewing:
In my experience, the firing pin retaining pin used in the Remington 700/clones has been the most frequent failure point. While a quick visual inspection may give the appearance of being OK, if broken, and the pin contained within the bolt sleeve, it may still work but cause misfires due to dragging within the bolt sleeve. Ultimately, full failure will result with the possible risk of trigger damage. Heavy dry firing and/or lack of lubrication within the sleeve seems to be the most common causes of failure. I will usually keep a few spare pins on hand and replace them of they look worn.
CDD0C401-75D8-49DE-B706-BA06254C081C.jpeg 6F7B5B4A-4B8E-4CD1-9A89-D1266A848FE1.jpeg

I like gre tans firing pins his takes some of the clearance out of where it rides in the bolt so they fit tighter good luck

In my experience, the firing pin retaining pin used in the Remington 700/clones has been the most frequent failure point. While a quick visual inspection may give the appearance of being OK, if broken, and the pin contained within the bolt sleeve, it may still work but cause misfires due to dragging within the bolt sleeve. Ultimately, full failure will result with the possible risk of trigger damage. Heavy dry firing and/or lack of lubrication within the sleeve seems to be the most common causes of failure. I will usually keep a few spare pins on hand and replace them of they look worn.
View attachment 128531 View attachment 128532

Interesting...thanks for sharing. I definitely appreciated the picture and diagram.

I ordered something from brownells and added one of the pins you talk about to my order.

Love this site I get so much help and information

I've been using the Tubb dual spring firing pin assemblies with no complaints. They eliminate bolt jump completely in my rifles. Don't forget that bots need cleaning/maintenance just like the rest of your rifle systems.

I have a Gretan pin in my Rem 700 .280ai.
The first pin from them I had to send back... extremely hard bolt lift on cocking. They replaced no charge. So far I like it. My rifle is in the 9 lb range and when dry firing I can do pretty well keeping the crosshairs on the bull.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts