Best reloading press ??

Quoted from the Sinclair catalog in reference to the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax press:
"Works With All Redding Competition Dies!"

Forster re-designed the handle a couple of years back to accommodate the taller dies.

I think Forster now sells three different handles for the C0-Ax press. The original had the long handle with the shorter opening. This one will do anything as long as you don't use a redding micrometer seater. Then Forster came out with the same handle, but with a shorter extention. Later they came out with a handle that had a larger opening to allow use of Redding dies. Also keep in mind that Sinclair is nothing but a shill for Redding, and will push their over priced line of equipment even though they know better.
gary

Actually, Forster only sells two handle sizes now.

All current production co-ax presses have the larger handle yoke to clear taller dies.

They offer the standard, longer, tubular handle grip, and an optional shorter, ball handle grip. Both handles work in conjunction with the same (larger) yoke.

Andy

I like the dillion 550 or 650,grat customer service and warrenty. David Tubbs loads his match ammo on a Dillion with a couple of modifications.

I second on the Dillon 550, of course I can't comment on any other brands because since 1994, this is the only press I've ever used.

I have several presses and the strongest one is the RCE Walnut Hill press. It is by far the strongest press but I really like the Redding T7 press for general reloading. I don't think one press is enough but that is just me. I also have a Dillon 550 which is a great press. I use the Walnut Hill to make bullets and I use the Redding T7 the most for reloading.

JD,
I use a Forester Co-Ax and I would never change it. I have used a lot of different ones, and I also have an RCBS A-4 (Big Max) for the really heavy stuff. I am happy with my set-up!
Good luck, and good shooting.
Jim

Forester Co-Ax is the way to go. I have some Hollywood presses as well...
But Forester is far superior to the rest.

How does the Co Ax work with RCBS and Redding dies? I am in the market for a new press, I have loaded for years on my Dads Rock Chucker. But I am torn between the Co Ax and Ultra Mag Press. Anyone have experience with loading a 22-250 case or similar on these presses? Biggest case I would be reloading would be the Ultra Mag/ Weatherby cases. I would ultimately like to have something to cover all of the bases.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

the Forster will take any brand die as long as it's .88-14 thread
gary

Well after many many years using a rock chucker, I decided to go for the Co-Ax. After a lot of searching I found Midway has by far the best price. If what I understand is correct, I won't be able to use some of the longer dies in this press. Seems 7mm STW and the like are too long to fit in the space given. Anyone experienced this? Solution appears to be going to Forster dies for those calibers.

For those who have been using this press, any special tips that you have learned would be appreciated.

actually incorrect. About four or five years ago, Forster redesigned their handle with a bigger opening to clear most any die. I use almost nothing but Forster seaters as they are the best. Still have a handful of oddball die sets from other brands that work just fine. Mine is a 1978 model Bananza B2.

I do some heavy case forming with my press, but it still won't do everything. So I have a small RCBS press to do some of these chores. I actually like pulling bullets better with the RCBS than the Forster. Cutting large sections of a case off is easier as well.

Nice thing about the Forster is the direction of thrust. This points downward instead of upwards. I would recommend placing a 10 gauge steel shim plate under the press and another under the bench with the bolts going thru the plates. This will seriously stiffen up the mount on the bench. I use a riser with mine (my own concept). My first riser was four inches tall, and liked that. Then I built six and eight inch ones. These were also angled back about twenty degrees, but isn't necessary.

The sliding jaws are not case holders contrary to popular belief. They are nothing but extractors, and do nothing to align the case. I set mine up pretty loose, and almost never swap the jaws around. All they need to do, is pull the case out of the die.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.