Best Rangefinders for the buck?

In my experience owning both the Leica 1200 LRF Scan, and the new Leica 1200 CRF. Both did a good job, but in my opinion the newer CRF is far superior to the earlier LRF scan modles.

Also my new swaro failed me on a 200 class whitetail. I would not take the shot due to varying readings from 950 to 1050. Two days later I filled the tag with a doe at 1137 yards. So, I guess any brand can fail and I now carry a spare.

Jeff

I believe the rangefinders of today are better than those of just a few years ago... as technology increases and miniaturizes processors, the units will get smaller and smaller. The size of the new Leica CRF is super handy... it fits right in the shirt pocket. Being submersible/waterproof is a plus also. NJS

Last edited:
I am a total sucker for Leupold, but wouldn't touch one of their rangefinders.

I am also a cheapskate and have big issues dropping the coin on a top-notch product. But, the rangefinder is an area where I've learned not to screw around. I only shoot animals to 500 yards, and even for that use I have ended up with a Leica CRF 1200.

There's very little more frustrating that not being able to get a range on an animal in the field, and I've found paying $500 for the Leica vs. $350 for a cheaper brand to be a wonderful bargain. The glass is good enough to use it as a spotter for closer ranges, it's absolutely tiny and light, and it gets me the range every time.

Do I understand correctly that the Leica is good mostly for over 500-yard shots, but that it tends to be less accurate for shots at, say, 300-400 yards? I am looking for a rangefinder that will accurately measure ranges at the lower end of the scale, so should I still consider a more expensive instrument such as the Leica, even though it might be overkill at shorter ranges, or should I just go for something like a Nikon Riflehunter 550 for $289.95? This rangefinder was rated a "best buy" in a current article in one of the rifle magazines (which, BTW, rated the Leica at the top of the heap). I would be using the instrument for coyotes and smaller varmints at shorter ranges.

Last edited:
The Leica works better than any Nikon or Bushnell I've ever used from 20yd to 1000+. I actually got it not for 700yd+ shots, but more reliable 200-400 yard ranging in poor conditions, where the Bushnell was awful.

For archery it's a poor choice with its 7x zoom and 10-15yd min range, and I also like the built-in angle cosine features of archery rangefinders.

The Leica works better than any Nikon or Bushnell I've ever used from 20yd to 1000+. I actually got it not for 700yd+ shots, but more reliable 200-400 yard ranging in poor conditions, where the Bushnell was awful.

For archery it's a poor choice with its 7x zoom and 10-15yd min range, and I also like the built-in angle cosine features of archery rangefinders.

Auto, but why does it work better? Easier to operate, pin-point laser, better optics to see the target, reliability, etc.? Also, does the Leica have good customer service in case anything goes wrong? Is the warranty longer/more inclusive? I am completely unfamiliar with the newer laser range finders, having used only a cheap old Bushnell that I lost during a move nearly nine years ago. I used it for ground squirrels only, and had to walk out to a certain yardage and take measurements from my stopping point back to the truck. Taking measurements from the truck to the ground squirrels was impossible because they were too small to range. I know virtually nothing about today's range finders.

One thing is for sure: I don't want to buy a cheaper range finder, then find out later that I wished I had spent more money for one that I would fill the bill, so to speak.

And....I started to look at the Leica Geovid 10 x 42 binocular/range finder combo units. The cheapest price I could find was over $2,000. I then remembered reading something about an offer of $1,699, with a $350 rebate, right here on LRH. Now I can't find the post/advertisement. Help!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.