Best rangefinder

Glass4days

I'm getting in to this long range shooting. I will be shooting a 270 wsm with 140 grain bergers at coues whitetail here in az. I was just looking for advice on a good rangefinder that will reach out to 1000 yards. I probably won't shoot coues that far out but I'd like to practice 1000 yards out just for fun. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I tried others including bushnell and Leupold.

My current rangefinder is a Swarovski 8x30. It is the best I have seen for a handheld unit.

Best advice I can give is get one that is advertised to range further than you think you'll possibly need. Just because it's rated for 1000 yds, rarely do we get the full distance out here in the real world on live targets.

If you expect to range small deer at up to 1000 yds eventually, then I highly suggest a 1500yd or better rangefinder.

They are really hard to find but if you can the leica 1200 is a great range finder. I found one in the store a couple months ago and was able to get them down to 500$ since it was a discontinued item.

Best rangefinder is probably Vectronix PLRF 10, $4000. Excellent reviews and very accurate out to 2500 yards.

Good value is a Swarovski LRF for $1000. Mine ranges in most conditions on grass/torso targets/etc out to 1100 yards. Bigger, more reflective objects, much farther. Covers the range of my 260 Remington well. It's also a pretty good monocular optic if you do not want to carry binoculars. If I was shooting 1500 yards and longer, I would get the Vectronix.

Most cheaper range finders are highly overrated on what they will range. Try before you buy if at all possible.

It's too bad the Vectronix is so expensive. They have a really good set of bino/LR combos that are great, but SUUUUPER expensive at around $12k.

Leica CRF1600- Ranges well, nice reticle, tight beam divergence for ranging what you're aiming at, gives pressure reading and temperature, physically smaller- like a small pocket camera.

Swaro- Ranges arguably a little better/more consistent than the Leica, reticle isn't as good as leica, almost the size of 8X binos. Just distance, no pressure or temp.

These are the two I'm considering and leaning towards the Leica. We'll see. The G7 will be out soon so there's another option, all be it at twice the price of the Leica and Swaro. When it's released there may be a chance to get the former at a good deal...

Ditto to what GOOD said. In the end, it is Leica and the Swaro. Vectronics is a great unit, but not for the $$$ involved. Lower end RF's just don't get the job done in all the different situations you will encounter in the field.

Best: Zeiss PRF T*

2 best: Leica 1600

Budget: Nikon 1200

(I think Swarovski is too heavy for my taste.)

I used both the Leica & Swaro on my hunt last year to compare in the field side by side. The Swaro ranged a little farther but the Leica was a lot easier to read the range. I didn't care for the orange color of the Swaro's readout as it blended with the color of background. I realy liked the bright red of the Leica. I don't know if all Swaros are like that , but didn't realy care for the one I used.I even put in a new battery in the Swaro because I thought that may be the problem, but no change.

I recently received my PLRF 10 from Potomac River Group. $3750.
:: Potomac River Group :: Products Division
It took about 6 weeks to receive it. The unit is incredible. I needed a small beam divergence to range deer in flat terrain. I wish I had just bought this unit to begin with as the weak link in my long range hunting has been the inability to accurately range medium size game on flat ground. It seemed senseless to handicap a $5000+ long range rig with an $800 range finder. I am glad I invested in the PLRF 10. I have used many range finders and will list them in my order of preference:
Leica 1200
Swarovski
Leica 1600
PLRF 10

I recently received my PLRF 10 from Potomac River Group. $3750.
:: Potomac River Group :: Products Division
It took about 6 weeks to receive it. The unit is incredible. I needed a small beam divergence to range deer in flat terrain. I wish I had just bought this unit to begin with as the weak link in my long range hunting has been the inability to accurately range medium size game on flat ground. It seemed senseless to handicap a $5000+ long range rig with an $800 range finder. I am glad I invested in the PLRF 10. I have used many range finders and will list them in my order of preference:
Leica 1200
Swarovski
Leica 1600
PLRF 10

Jett, I agree 100%. Especially the part about handicapping the $5000 rife. I couldn't have said it better my self. I just didn't know what I was missing or I would have skipped the 5 Swaros and a few Leicas and all the frustration that came with them. The vectronix PLRF10 is the way to go.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.