Best rangefinder at any price & best for the $

dimecovers3

Need a rangefinder. What are the top three at any price and what are the top three for the money. Weight is an issue (will be carried in fanny pack) and this not for shooting past 1000 yards (I'm in NC and 90 percent of time will be used to check between 250 and 500 yards), but would not mind having capability to go longer for infrequent trips out West or resale if I end up never using it . Are they all accurate? Can any go to 1000 yards and still be used for bowhunting 20-40 yards or is that not possible?

I recently tested the Leica Geovid BRF for a UK gun magazine, it impressed the hell out of me. Good for 1200m and is an excellent binocular into the bargain.
Pete

The best at any price? I guess Leica Vectors (several models available) around 18000 Euro. Not really fanny pack size and may not go down to 20m.

Best non military kit, what Pete said.

Best non binocular LRF, look at recent post on Bushnell 1500, Swarovski Laser Guide, Leica 1200.

David

Dime. My bushnell YP1000 will range fur to 350 reliably and 500ish with spotty results. It will range as close as 19 yards. It has a rain and zip function that enable you to range through rain and a line of nearby trees. It will range up to 2000 yards on a stop sign. It will measure yards or meters. It also has a scan function.

It is slightly used and for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know this is not a complete answer to your question. (not really close) But if you want to get a moderate range LRF it wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I haven't seen any of those in the cabellas catalog. I really like the ones by Rigel. I haven't looked at all the sites yet but certainly will.

I was talking to Lynwood Harrell the other day and he was telling me how he was able to range to 1950 yards with his Swarovesky, on folage on an overcast day. Harrell's Give him a call he loves to talk about high end gear he uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have the new Bushnell 1500, Leica 1200 and Swarovski - the Bushnell offers excellent performance for the dollar, significant upgrade from the previous 1000 model, the Leica is reliable, nice image but getting long in the tooth (time for a new model), the Swarovski beats the other two in every head-to-head that I have done but it costs more. None of these will come close to the performance of a Vector, but they are not intended to.

I can get you a NEWCON LRB7X50SP Rangefinder Bino, Armored 20 TO 1500 Yards, Cross Or Rectangular Reticle Selecttion, Speed Detector, 7X50MM Bino 675.00, or Bushnell Yardage Pro Elite 1500 for 335.00, Nikon 600 Buckmaster Realtree 265.00(I have this and its small and light and fits into a thigh pocket) all plus shipping, and tax if in Michigan

An alternative to Vectors is Melios in military kit again 10km ranging, eye safe and mega bucks if even available.

Had the Newcon LRB 7x50`s SPD binos, was very happy I could return them, also big.

Have the Swarovski Laser Guide on order for a looong time. May buy Leica Geovids also if the price is right.

Like other optical products you tend to get what you pay for but unlike other optics the rate of change is fairly quick as laser technology improves, in public kit 1.5km (rated) is at the top now, give it a couple of years and it will be 2km. Things also tend to get smaller with more features.

David.

Thanks to all those who took the time to respond. I read an article this week in Wall St. Journal that said Leica was facing bankruptcy so I hesitate to go that way with warrenty issues, not to mention they are more than I could pay. The Bushnell seems like a likely candidate. I just bought the best pair of 10x42's Leupold makes so I guess I want a monocular, not a binocular. I'll have to take all these links in and weigh price vs. reputation and functionality and maybe Father's Day will score me a nice one. By the way, I read a lot of shooting and bowhunting forums and this group is by far the most knowledgeable and generous with that knowledge than any other forum. Plus, it's just plain cooler because of the guys on here!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.