Best range for load development?

Most all my load development is done at 200 yards. I like this manageable range for minimal environmentals/wind influence with sufficient shot resolution. Accurate choreographing is critical. I'll generally run a 5-10 shot ladder depending on my particular experience/knowledge of the cartridge/components. I'll then move to groups/seating depth tests. Once accuracy and ES is optimized, I'll verify at 500 and 1000 yards. With the exception of the occasional ballistic velocity calibration at 1000 yards, loads developed at 200 yards, will hang together at 1000+ yards.
Greyfox: turn off spellcheck. It is making you sound like a dance instructor!! ("choreographing"???)

i know I'm going to get diff opinions on this but still like the feedback. This is a discussion I've had with my local gs and my shooting buddies. What is the best distance to test loads? 100? 300? 500? 1000?
Most of my testing has been done at 100. Gs says 300, but seems to me environmental factors would become too much of an issue at that distance to get true results for load development. What's everyone else do?

I like to test my loads at the range at which I intend to shoot them.

Its very common for your load to be different at long range. If you do not develop your load at long range you should at least verify it at long range and do not be surprised if you have a lot of vertical. I prefer to tune at the farthest distance I will use the rifle.

Last edited:
After I've sighted my rifle in, the best distance for me to test loads is the same distance that I'm going to zero my rifle at. If I'm going to zero my rifle at 150 yards I'll test loads at the same distance. I typically zero my rifles between 250 and 300 yards.

i know I'm going to get diff opinions on this but still like the feedback. This is a discussion I've had with my local gs and my shooting buddies. What is the best distance to test loads? 100? 300? 500? 1000?
Most of my testing has been done at 100. Gs says 300, but seems to me environmental factors would become too much of an issue at that distance to get true results for load development. What's everyone else do?
Well I shoot 1000+ yards so I do a ladder test at 300 yards to help me find a powder charge it likes. Then I'll go to 100 yards to get my seating depth. I usually get 5 rounds hole in hole this way but can all ways get 1/2" and less 5 shot groups for sure. Now I do zero all my rifles dead on at 100yards. I hunt with all my rifles also. I'm not a bench shooter. If you hunt with your rifle thank about how close you are on most of your shots. I have guided people with rifles zeroed at 200 and even 300 yards. I can't help but laugh. I tell them I have gotten you on 3 bobcats, 5 yotes, 2 Doe and 1 buck. And nothing has been dropped. Reason is all those shots were under 100 yards. LoL

Last edited:
100 yards. If you cant group at 100, keep tinkering, you're NOT DEVELOPED YET! Dont even fire at any other distance until you cutting 1 ragged hole in a 5 shot string. Once your load does that, Chrony it. Works done. Use Ballistic table for your drop at KNOWN velocity. Dial Up & Fire Away brother!

Little input here. I shoot service rifle. My friends and I have tested many loads in the 69 gr and 77 gr range for 5.56 service loads. We have noticed 69 gr shoot well at 200 and 300 yards but accuracy falls off at 600 yards. The 77 gr loads do not shoot as well at 200 yards as they do at 300 yards. We are using 1:7 twist barrels that are recommended for bullets 69-80 gr. We suspect that the 77s are not quite stabilized at 200 yards. Velocity for these bullets is around 2500-2700 fps. Just saying...

I can walk out the back door, maybe 30 -40 yds to the shooting bench and I have target butts at 100, 200, 300 and 350. To shoot further than that it's an hour to hour 20 min, to the 1,000 yd range. It depends on the distance I plan on hunting whit the gun, if it's less than 400 yds I'll figure out a load at 100 yds then shoot it at 200 & 300 to verify it. Some guns have a 200 yd zero, the long range gun I group and zero at 300 yds. I do a lot at 100 yds because many guns won't be used much past 300, let alone 400. Most chrono work is done at 100. I shoot facing South, and the shooting lane is a 20' wide swath that is cut out of the woods so it isn't the brightest patch of ground, but I have to shoot that direction - there is a natural ridgeline at 400 yds ant the house is on the North end of the property.

It's really hard for me to shoot past 300. I'll play around at 100 with seating depth and powder. When i have a few loads that shoot small i'll bring them to 300 and from there to 1k on paper when i drive over and shoot at Deep Creek. If you have a range that it will shoot 1/2 minute at 100-300, there is going to be a very small window it will shoot smaller than that at 1K.

I have done it all sorts of ways but the fastest way was seating depth at 100, ladder/pressure at 300 and then a group with the magnetospeed to get average speed/Sd then verification out to 1000 with a couple LR groups.
I agree with you. Your method has worked best for me.

Much the same for me, except if my 300 yard groups are not satisfactory....I start over with load development. This system works well for me, as I have a 100 yard and 300 yard range in the backyard.

Having a range out of the back door, means that I can easily pick those "windless" days. I live in one of those rare areas of Wyoming, where the wind doesn't blow often....usually, only when a weather front is moving through!

Rich, I think we're part of a "very" small crowd that uses a 300 yard zero! memtb
Little or no wind in Wyoming!? Where is that & is there property available? Lol
Doc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.