Best puffy layer for reasonable price.

Litehiker,
Agreed $$$...but used they can be had cheaper than hunting puffy jackets and are better...my 2 cents :)

I've got a Kuiu Superdown, it's great.
My buddy picked up a cheap down jacket at Burlington Coat Factory, it is equally as good as my Kuiu.

Some of the down is coming out of my Kuiu, it looks like white chicken feathers, not high quality down. I wear the jacket all the time, just don't know that it is worth the asking price.

Another thing I would mention is if you are planning for a hunt next fall look through the summer for winter clothing. For years that is how I purchased most all my skiing and mounteering clothing. That time of the year you can generally find really good deals.

I've been on record as saying I would part with every piece of tech gear that I own, except for my Kuiu Superdown. My wife and daughter have one too, and they've drank the kool-aid now. Not cheap, but solid and ridiculously warm.

I'll say that Kuiu does tell you the fill weight of their down. i.e. 850 cu. in./oz. and that it has a DWR treatment (Durable Water Repellant) which is good but I couldn't find the actual brand of DWR they use.

Still. I'll take LL Bean or Eddie Bauer for the quality and price. I prefer that only my GTX parka and pants are camo so I can wear the down clothing around town W/O looking like a redneck.

Q. "What's the difference between a redneck and a good ol' boy?
A. "A good ol' boy throws his Mc Donalds wrappers & beer cans on his pickup's floor and
a redneck throws them out the window." ;o)

Eric B.

For premium down clothing look at "Western Mountaineering" and/or "Feathered Friends".
I had a Helios jacket that was very serious warmth that got stolen out of my truck :(
http://featheredfriends.com/feathered-friends-mens-eos-ultralight-down-jacket.html

They have a liteweight puffy that looks similar to the Kuiu in warmth.

A packable down jacket is a great piece of kit, I carry and wear mine all the time. I have the brown Kuiu and wear it around town like Litehiker suggests. I've been flying a lot lately and is great on the plane as pillow, etc. it packs down to nothing in my carry-on or day pack too. It's probably one of my most used pieces of outdoor clothing.

Love my Kifaru Lost parka!! Used it in mid November elk hunt with snow on the ground and good winds. Plenty warm and durable. I also have a Kuiu super down and like it but the Kifaru is heavier and warmer!!

This ^ they're about $245 though there are occasional sales got one for Christmas and took it out today. Love the thing. Not nearly as puffy as it looks either. Cordura on the elbows and stomach, warm as hell, and light. Highly recommend. They make a full zip version too which is what went with.

Sam Millard has a good review on one as well.

My hard earned money goes to LL Bean on this item. Bean's Down Tec durable water repellant down treatment is nice for keeping the down dryer and having it dry 60% faster than untreated down. That's important, as is Bean's high quality.

Ex. Bean's Ultralight 850 Big Baffle Down Parka is a bargain at $309. for a size Large Tall. Just try to get that kind of warmth and quality from any other brand of baffled down parka for that price! And then there is Bean's great guarantee.

Eric B.

Just picked one up. On sale right now for $202 and free shipping. Use "EXTRA25" code and get an additional 25% off.

Mike 338,
Sounds like you got the LL BEAN Ultralight 850 Big Baffle parka. That parka is very warm, mainly because of the baffles which permit no cold spots. And you will only need a GTX mountain shell to protect it from brush or rocks.

That price of $202. is a screaming deal! Even at the original $309. price for a Large Tall was really good.

Eric B.

UPDATE: Just ordered that same LL Bean Ultralight 850 fill baffled down jacket in an Large Tall B/C I want that extra coverage on arms and butt. My price was $209. because Tall sizes cost a bit more. Still that is an unbelievable price.

Two years ago I bought Bean's -20 F. down bag on a double sale like this and it is absolutely THE best designed winter bag I've owned and I have had two other -20 F. bags, one from Mountain Hardware and one from Eddie Bauer.

Last edited:
For a mid layer I still use the M65 field jacket liner.
Don't know how it compares to the others but I have the extreme cold weather primaloft parka and pants issued as part for our 7 layer system and it has never let me down, even in some extreme colds. Might find one for sale as part of a "government overrun".o_O

Bravo,
With your Primaloft clothing, try to not stuff it into stuff sacks unless absolutely necessary B/C Primaloft loses its "loft" more than other synthetic fiber insulations when stuffed repeatedly. (Don't ask how I know.) :eek:(

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.