Best puffy layer for reasonable price.

Twisted300Win MAG

im planning my first backpack hunt. I'm looking at a few different brands of puffy layers. I have to purchase a lot of gear for this first trip so I'm trying to put money where it counts but need to make money go as far as possible. I've been looking at. I'm getting a little bit of information overload looking at all this stuff.
Kuiu superdown ultra(more money but lightest I've seen so far)
First lite uncompahgre.(heavier but seems more durable. Plus they do a lot for conservation)
Eddie Bauer microtherm storm lite( good price but only jacket. No pants)

Any help would be appropriated
Thanks
Donald

Not sure the style of Eddie Bauer but I bought the jacket at sams club for 24$ and it worked awesome as layering under Sitka jacket.

Kifaru has the Lost Park Parka. I've never used it. Heavier than Kuiu but some reviews say it's warmer. Probably more durable and a little cheaper than Kuiu. Check out Rokslide, you can find some decent deals there on on lightly used and even new gear. Good luck.

Love my Kifaru Lost parka!! Used it in mid November elk hunt with snow on the ground and good winds. Plenty warm and durable. I also have a Kuiu super down and like it but the Kifaru is heavier and warmer!!

Kuiu! I know it's not inexpensive, but it's great stuff! I had the fortunate opportunity to do a northern British Columbia moose hunt a year ago and was restricted to 40 pounds of gear for a 10 day hunt. My pack was filled with Kuiu gear, and I made the weight with a pound to spare. More important, it performed perfectly! I now have two Kuiu puffy sets... I seem to use it all the time!

I have a couple of Eddie Bauer puffies. Probably similar quality to the Kuiu and cheaper. I am looking to get the Uncompahgre puffy pants First Lite makes when they have them in-stock again. Also think of using Prima-Loft (synthetic down) if it's going to be a mid layer because down is pretty ineffective if it's wet (sweating from hiking). I just ordered an Arc Teryx Atom jacket off of Backcountry on-sale that's in a natural earth-tone color that I plan to take next year.

My hard earned money goes to LL Bean on this item. Bean's Down Tec durable water repellant down treatment is nice for keeping the down dryer and having it dry 60% faster than untreated down. That's important, as is Bean's high quality.

Ex. Bean's Ultralight 850 Big Baffle Down Parka is a bargain at $309. for a size Large Tall. Just try to get that kind of warmth and quality from any other brand of baffled down parka for that price! And then there is Bean's great guarantee.

Eric B.

My hard earned money goes to LL Bean on this item. Bean's Down Tec durable water repellant down treatment is nice for keeping the down dryer and having it dry 60% faster than untreated down. That's important, as is Bean's high quality.

Ex. Bean's Ultralight 850 Big Baffle Down Parka is a bargain at $309. for a size Large Tall. Just try to get that kind of warmth and quality from any other brand of baffled down parka for that price! And then there is Bean's great guarantee.

Eric B.

Beans have lost all my business and I have donated almost everything to salvation army...They DO NOT guarantee their stuff lifetime anymore. I have a shirt and some hiking pants fail brought them to the store and oh so sorry read here our policy changed...All done. Cabela's has a synthetic puff under $100 I got in the store on labor day sale for even less. Its great.

adk,
Hate to break this to you but Bass Pro, new owner of Cabela's, has also changed Cabela's guarantee and limited it severely. And then there is the Pass Pro policy of lowering Cabela's quality to BP's level, which is essentially Wallymart quality, if that.

Even REI has limited their guarantees two years ago. It's "just business".

Twisted,
I suggest two puffy jackets, both relatively light weight jackets.
1. synthetic puffy-> Hopefully with Climashield insulation or the "puff ball" insulation used bu The North Face and Patagonia.
2. down puffy-> here hopefully with a down DWR like Dri-Down or Down Tech for much less (30%) moisture absorption and much faster (65%) drying time. Again my money goes to LL Bean.

Synthetic puffy-> For trail use. When it gets damp from sweat vapor it will dry fast

Down puffy-> For camp or still hunting use. Layer over the synthetic for max warmth.

This is a system used by more experienced winter backpackers and back country ski/snowshoe trekkers. It's a "best of both worlds" layering system.

Plus you can wear the down jacket in your sleeping bag for added warmth if necessary. Always have a light fleece balaclava for sleeping in cold weather.

Eric B.

Lite Hiker...I know but I haven't been screwed by them, yet o_O! Low cost and good stuff hardly ever go together but the synthetic puffy I got from C is pretty good. Bean outlet stores all over here in the Northeast. A good place for OP to look if he is near.

ask,

Good to hear Cabela's still has some quality garments. I have Cabela's shirts and long johns decades old!
I have Eddie Bauer puffy both their First Ascent down vest and down "sweater" (light jacket). They have good garments in the First Ascent line (800 fill down, like Bean's) and often very good sales.

Eric

I always look to mountaineering companies for my down jackets. Patagonia, OR, Marmot, etc can all be found in greens or browns for generally much less than buying camo jackets. If you are wanting to keep to a budget this would be your best option. I rarely use "hunting companies" for any base layers, insulation, etc for my hunts. It's just not worth it for me to pay double the price for camo gear that is either equal to or lesser quality.

nmj,
Arcteryx (a.k.a. "Dead Bird") is WAAY over-priced. Very good but over-priced. Good you got it used on eBay.

Rifleman,
I agree, usually mountaineering companies have to have better quality products than companies making camo clothing. Plus it is reasonably priced.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.