Best Primer and Powder combo for 6BR?

wildcat

Hello all,

I am having a 6BR built for Long Range varminting. My question is, what is the best overall powder and primer combo.

I will be using the 70grn Ballistic Tip and 75grn V-Max for my 100 to 600 yard shots, and the 105grn Lapua Scenar for shots past 600 yards and out to 1000 yards.

My barrel is a Krieger 30", 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove, with a .236 lands. The chamber will be a Standard 6BR set up for Lapua brass and it will have .060 lead (freebore).

I was thinking Varget and Federal 205 Match primers would be a good start. I would like to hear what you guys think.

Wildcat

Huntinfool, I've been there too. I just wanted to hear from guys on this site as well.

Wildcat

6BR.com is the place to go.

I think you'll find your BR will ingest about anything you feed it, and like it all.

I've settled on the 87g V-Max and Varget for varminting.

68g Fowler or Berger if I want to show off at the range.

Fireball, what kind of velocities are you getting with the 87grn V-Max? Also, what is the length of your barrel.

Wildcat

6BR

I have had good sucess with AA2230 and fed small rifle match primer in Lapua brass. This combo for max performance.VHIT 133 for the best accuracy.My gun is a custom Rampro action w a 12 twist Lilga 27" 55gr blitzking 36gr 2230 3900 fps group.250".This is an Ackly improved chamber.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.