best press for many many rounds

thom6627

I ran into a guy at a show in Mass and he was selling reloads. I bought 100 rnds and they were good range rounds. He claimed to be making a nice bit of pocket change doing this. I wanted to investigate the possibility and wanted to hear from people that have found a good press for large amounts of rounds any suggestionslightbulb

I ran into a guy at a show in Mass and he was selling reloads. I bought 100 rnds and they were good range rounds. He claimed to be making a nice bit of pocket change doing this. I wanted to investigate the possibility and wanted to hear from people that have found a good press for large amounts of rounds any suggestionslightbulb
I wouldn't buy reloads from anyone unless they were a full blown re-manufacturing plant-- if a friend helps you it's one thing, but someone you don't know is a bit dangerous.
I'd look at an rcbs rockchucker- possibly the kit because you will need a scale and some other things too; check out threads on getting started reloading using the search function

I have to agree with Lefty, if it's not a factory load or loaded by someone you know, it's not worth fooling wirh. You nevr know whats inside until you touch it off and then it could very well blow up in your face.

I shoot handloads loaded by a friend of mine in my 44 magnum but I know he's loading for his as well and I'm comfortable with his reloads.

If you really want to get into serious output, check out the Dillon Precision Line of presses. Not cheap but quick loading progressive presses.

That's just nuts who you going to sue when you shoot your eye out? Dilion

yeah I guess I'd have to agree with you all. I had thought that building a solid reputation as a quality craftsman would eliminate some concerns you all expressed. I have a good friend that loads for several of us but he is looking to step away He says that he's getting too old at 80 yrs.

yeah I guess I'd have to agree with you all. I had thought that building a solid reputation as a quality craftsman would eliminate some concerns you all expressed. I have a good friend that loads for several of us but he is looking to step away He says that he's getting too old at 80 yrs.
Ask him to show you a bit about reloading and/ or at least get the load data from him on what you've been using. Get specifics-- oal, powder charge(brand and weight), brand/weight of bullet(and wheather boat-tail or not), primer. Get it all if you can.

Ask him to show you a copy of his liability insurance policy!!!!:D

ONE faulty round and that guy can be sued into oblivion!

As far as presses goes...Dillon; RCBS; Redding; Hornady...etc. They all make top quality presses

First thing is I would never do it from a liability standpoint unless I lived in a cardboard box on the roadside because you'll loose everything the first time
a round injures a person ot a gun gets damaged.

One reason the price of ammo is so high is the liability insurance premiums manufacturers pay. You can't afford it.

Now on to the press thing. Despite all the recommendations of all the good prsses out there (all good BTW), only the Dillon will churn out a couple hundred finished rounds per hour, only the Dillon, none of the others even if set up as progressives becaus Dillon is a close to an automated reloading press as you can buy without buying a commercial reloading line that you can't afford in the first place.

Actually, the best thing is to forget about it and buy commercial ammo or load for yourself.

You are about to get in over your head and possibly loose evrything y ou own and then some.

Having said all that, I reload for my attorney. I figure it's a safe bet bcause he won't sue me.

First thing is I would never do it from a liability standpoint unless I lived in a cardboard box on the roadside because you'll loose everything the first time
a round injures a person ot a gun gets damaged.

One reason the price of ammo is so high is the liability insurance premiums manufacturers pay. You can't afford it.

Now on to the press thing. Despite all the recommendations of all the good prsses out there (all good BTW), only the Dillon will churn out a couple hundred finished rounds per hour, only the Dillon, none of the others even if set up as progressives becaus Dillon is a close to an automated reloading press as you can buy without buying a commercial reloading line that you can't afford in the first place.

Actually, the best thing is to forget about it and buy commercial ammo or load for yourself.

You are about to get in over your head and possibly loose evrything y ou own and then some.

Having said all that, I reload for my attorney. I figure it's a safe bet bcause he won't sue me.

I used to buy reloaded revolver rounds off a guy that was licensed to remanufacture ammo years back, and he did a very good job except he loved Unique powder. His loads were always mid loads, but as I said burnt a little dirty. He used several Star presses (hydraulics). But the same guy also had a cast bullet operation that was extremely good. I probably bought several thousand bullets off him as they were always done well (used mostly Lyman molds). Sadly the place was lost in a fire. His 230 grain hardball loads for a 45 were as good as I've ever used by anybody.

The only people I've ever reloaded for are my brother and a couple friends that I knew very well. And with the exception of my brother I really only loaded some stuff good enough to fire form out of. (about a dozen rounds each time to get them some once fired brass to get their dies made). My brother's stuff was accuracey orientated, plus I did resize several hundred cases for him in my Co-Ax (real long strait walled stuff). Might add here that everytime somebody gave me a bunch of reloaded ammo; I promptly broke it down.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.