Best predator mouth calls

Westernhuntr

I'm looking for a few good predator calls for coyotes.
I had an awesome rabbit in distress call years ago, and am looking to replace it.
No idea what it was even called..
I'm not really interested in electronic calls, is anyone out there having success with the old school stuff?

Lots of great options out there these days. I've carried a lanyard with a Mark Zepp 1080, Mark Zepp Rattler & a Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler for quite a few years now. For what I do, those three more than cover all of the bases. I blow the 1080 the vast majority of the time & it would be my pick if I could only own one.

The 1080 is a super versatile open reed call. With a little practice, you can master quite a few different sounds from cottontail distress to fawn bleats to coyote howls. I use it for everything.

CritR Call is as good as I've found (you can make a lot of tones with them), I've called in yotes, fox, cats, wolves, bears, deer, antelope, elk and a few more critters. PLus you can howl with it if you wish.

Take a look at the PeeWee and the Magnum and you're covered

I like the CritR Call med for rabbit and puppy squeaks and squeals . Dan Thompson has passed but I think you can still get his Red Desert howler . Randy Anderson makes a good howler like it and a few more good calls I think you can still get his from Premos . I used the Bill Auston howler when I first started 30 years ago he passed on years ago they were made of 1/2 inch sch 40 PVC pipe and had a reed made out of a plastic note book I think his son is still around doing coyote work . Circie made some nice jack rabbit and cotton tail calls they had metal reeds that would freeze or get wet and quit working . Some of the calls I have , I have used for 30 plus years . Tally ho was another good open read call you could do jack rabbit cotton tail puppy sounds as well as howl mail or female .

Was the one you had green with a closed reed ? those were Circie . Burnum Brotheres also made some good calls in the past .

You might look at Predatormasters.com Forums under custom calls, lots of really good calls there for not a lot of $$$. I will second Carver calls and Orion calls as well. Good luck!

Diaphragm calls
I can howl, bark, ki-yi, pup in distress, bird in distress, fawn in distress, rabbit in distress, house cat in distress, baby house cat style meows
Wicked house cat fight with coyote sequence that's fun.

Jesus, may even be forgetting some other sounds.

I can do all of that with one call, that sits in my mouth the entire time.

Now, I do have open reed cow horn howlers, verminator distress calls, old school closed reed distressed calls too, because calling is something I love, and even though I can do everything these calls do and sound better with the diaphragm, I still wear a backpack to lug these calls out, every stand.

just buy about 12-15 calls from all over the country different makers and see what works best in your area and change up calls every so often so yotes don't get used to hearing the same thing all the time

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.