Best Pre-fit Savage barrel? Better than Shilen Super select?

TG-5150

Oh boy....lots of stuff here. But here is my .02 worth.

I had a .308 that was a ....yup, you guessed it!
A Savage/Stevens 200 in .308. Anyway- it had strep throat.o_O
So we went had an Excalibur 24” S.S. Spiral fluted barrel in 9 twist chambered for a 7mm-08 A.I. made. It was screwed on by I friend of mine. It clover leafed Fed. Fusions and Rem Cor Locts. And Hornady and Win. stuff wasn’t that bad either. And it’s most likely gonna produce consistent “ragged-holes” if reloads keep going the way they are. This is the only non-factory gun I have ever owned besides a Gibbs I had a long time ago.
I am gonna try another Excalibur for a Savage 110 action in a Sherman of some sort here very soon.

Chargerguy

Benchmark does prefits too (not sure if that was mentioned yet). Not something they really advertise on their site however.

elf

My latest pre fit is a SSSM from Pac Nor. It has been a shooter from day one. I'm not bound by brand loyalty but, I'd have to have a real good reason to not get my 5th Pac Nor barrel. I don't know if I caught them at a good time or not but, I had my barrel in less then 2 months.
I bought a Pac Nor pre fit in 6.5-284 some years ago. It was a bummer - shot worse than the original Savage factory barrel with 1200 rounds thru it. Returned it to Pac Nor and they replied that there was nothing wrong with the barrel. I sold it.

Firefighter749

20181215_132800.jpg
Judge the way you want, but this is how I do a custom threaded, chambered, Savage "screw on" barrel. Order a custom reamer the way I want it, drop ship the reamer to barrel manufacture I choose, order barrel, they do the machining, wait for delivery, go down in my basement= gun/reloading room, use my own tools, "screw on barrel" put rifle together,,, Done Deal,,,never had a disappointing one yet. Just did this one last week.

280AI, 1:9 tw, 26" Shilen w/brake, Bell & Carlson Stock, Nikon Black X, 1000,6x24x50, with MOA Illuminated Reticle

jasonco

LRH Team Member
View attachment 115800 Judge the way you want, but this is how I do a custom threaded, chambered, Savage "screw on" barrel. Order a custom reamer the way I want it, drop ship the reamer to barrel manufacture I choose, order barrel, they do the machining, wait for delivery, go down in my basement= gun/reloading room, use my own tools, "screw on barrel" put rifle together,,, Done Deal,,,never had a disappointing one yet. Just did this one last week.

280AI, 1:9 tw, 26" Shilen w/brake, Bell & Carlson Stock, Nikon Black X, 1000,6x24x50, with MOA Illuminated Reticle
boratverynice.png

jasonco

LRH Team Member
Finally, put all the pieces together on this 6mm Creedmoor project today! X-Caliber 26" (27 3/4" w/brake), 1-7 twist 5R, 1" Bull. They recommended the bull, it's handlapped. Time to start load development ;) View attachment 115223
Here's how this particular X-Caliber barrel performed first shots, with new Starline LR, 107 Nosler Custom Comp, CCI-BR2, H4350. This was at 100 yards. Velocty avg test #1-3020, #2-3013.
6mmCreedmoor 107 nosler 10 shot test.jpg

PhilSchmidt

There are some hit or miss pre-fit barrel manufacturers out there but in my experience if you get one from a top flight company your chances of getting a good barrel are just as good as going with a barrel chambered by a gunsmith.

I say that coming from direct experience with dozens of Criterion prefit's. Google Criterion and try to find a bad review. You'll probably find very few, if any unhappy users but you will find a plethora of very satisfied ones.

Gunsmiths seem to be the only ones bad mouthing pre-fits because they significantly impact their business.

Yotekiller

The most accurate gun I have ever fired is a shilen prefit. I have shot .11 moa 5 shot groups with it. Even working up loads I don't think I ever had a group over .3

Trending threads