Best Pre-fit Savage barrel? Better than Shilen Super select?

I have used X-caliber, Shilen, Douglas, ER Shaw, Criterion, Pac-Nor and have smiths prefit Hart, Bartlein and Kreiger tubes. All have shot well, some better than others. All would run under .5MOA a long ways out and a Mcgowen 7SAUM I got off a member here throws 180gr Bergers at 3100 and shot 17 shots into .336 at 100 yds with a mediocre bench set up. Regularly goes under .25MOA for 5 rds out to 1k and under .5 out to a mile. I think you would be happy with any of these pre fits. Even my Shaw barrels will run under .5MOA all day long if I'm sober. A Barrel fitted by a smith MAY be better but I have no need of much more accuracy than I get from my prefits.

Sorry to disagree with the Floating bolt head correction on misalignment.
When the rifle fires the bolt head if forced back against the bolt and the squareness of the bolt face is effected by the machined surfaces between the bolt head and the bolt.

The floating bolt head was designed for interchangeability from one bolt face diameter to another without changing the bolt itself. This way, a long/short action can be used with any bolt face diameter to get the best length and by changing the Floating bolt face only.

J E CUSTOM

The advantage of the floating bolt head is to ensure full contact of both lugs. With a non floating bolt head like most rifles including Remington the trigger pushes up on the bolt cause poor contact on the upper lug. I am not a machinist or action manufacture but it is my understanding that the lug abutments and the threads are machined in the same fixture and should be in alignment. If done correctly the receiver face should be the same although that is not always the case. In instances where the lug abutments and the barrel threads are not in alignment the floating bolt head is NOT going to fix that. Again the floating bolt fixes issues with a sloppy bolt body to receiver fit for any number of reasons not improper machining at the front of the receiver.

Sorry to disagree with the Floating bolt head correction on misalignment.
When the rifle fires the bolt head if forced back against the bolt and the squareness of the bolt face is effected by the machined surfaces between the bolt head and the bolt.

The floating bolt head was designed for interchangeability from one bolt face diameter to another without changing the bolt itself. This way, a long/short action can be used with any bolt face diameter to get the best length and by changing the Floating bolt face only.

J E CUSTOM

I tend to agree with this. I think Savage took a cost saving measure and just decided to spin it into a marketing strategy.

I have only done one barrel job. I used a ER Shaw 35 Whelen on a Savage 111. It is grate. The reviews I read some like them some no so much. I would say pre-fits are just like firearm manufactures, some time some things off and a bad one come out. I think you could get better for a good gunsmith because a good gunsmith is going to take more time and make it right before you get the gun every time.

https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/double-sleeve-bolt-body Floating bolt head IMO does same thing this service does. Pressure from sear pushes up on rear of bolt very slightly, and the upper lug ever so slightly disengages from the lug abutment. This service from a top gunsmith in the nation fixes it. Or , get a floating bolt head.. to get the bolt body fit to the action bore tight enough that it won't lift from pressure of the sear, the bolt is going to bind with dirt and grit more easily IMO. I see people ask why bighorn would use a floating bolt head ,other than the ability to change it out , if it's REALLY a precision action. This is the answer. Because in theory it's better And the lugs will always be in 100% contact AND bolt face square to the chamber . ARC uses toroidal lugs and it kind of accomplishes the same thing except I don't really know if the bolt face is kept perfectly square to the chamber like a floating head because it's still a 1 piece bolt. But it DOES keep 100% contact. These are just my observations and opinions.

Last edited:
https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/double-sleeve-bolt-body Floating bolt head IMO does same thing this service does. Pressure from sear pushes up on rear of bolt very slightly, and the upper lug ever so slightly disengages from the lug abutment. This service from a top gunsmith in the nation fixes it. Or , get a floating bolt head.. to get the bolt body fit to the action bore tight enough that it won't lift from pressure of the sear, the bolt is going to bind with dirt and grit more easily IMO. I see people ask why bighorn would use a floating bolt head ,other than the ability to change it out , if it's REALLY a precision action. This is the answer. Because in theory it's better And the lugs will always be in 100% contact AND bolt face square to the chamber . ARC uses toroidal lugs and it kind of accomplishes the same thing except I don't really know if the bolt face is kept perfectly square to the chamber like a floating head because it's still a 1 piece bolt. But it DOES keep 100% contact. These are just my observations and opinions.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Well said, I love my BHA SR2.

Cheers!

Ed

The ARC bolt is not a one piece design. It uses interchangeable bolt heads and extractors, but they're not a "floating" bolt head like a Savage.

BugHoles will do a cut rifled barrel like Bartlein for you. And they have a barrel nut they call the BugNut. About all I can think of one might consider other than a Shilen.

I have a Shilen and like it a lot, but would like to talk to BugHoles someday.
https://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1818.htm

I purchased a bugnut and barrel from bugholes, separately though, not as a prefit. I was thinking about using the system on my Savage, but will be doing a shouldered install instead. They have one of the nicer systems.

My last 2 barrels have been pre fit barrels and I couldn't be happier(?) Both are super easy to clean and shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards. I not really sure about your statement that all pre fits are massed produced. When I ordered my first pre fit I asked if it was in stock. I was told they didn't turn it until it was ordered. I have learned a ton in doing my pre fits and satisfaction level is high. Of course, as you say, I've maybe have been lucky in getting good barrels.

My definition of a Pre fit is different than some and there may lie the difference in this discussion.

To me, a pre fit is available for delivery immediately. these barrels are threaded and chambered in the most popular cartridges. They are popular because there is no waiting for 3 months for a barrel, and another 2 or 3 months for smithing.

If you call in an order and know the barrel maker, give them your want's and needs and they start machining I consider these to be custom barrels just like the smith would do except the assembly is done by the owner.

This doesn't mean they will all be better, but the chances are better that you will get a good one "Are". I have use these Custom pre fit barrels with good success when assembled correctly. especially on the standard cartridges in the AR platform. I still order some pre fit AR barrels from well known barrel makers Un Chambered If they are going to be used for matches at longer distances where accuracy means everything.

There are so many of these pre fits that the sellers will say I think the barrel is a XXX or a XXXX. normally these are the poorest quality and the cheapest. So If i have one piece of advice, it would be to order only from the premium barrel makers assuring that you get A quality barrel, not some low end barrel. then the quality of assembly is in your court.

So to all of those that order from premium barrel makers, sorry about
my misunderstanding of what you consider a pre fit compared to others. And for those that order from a catalog and receive it in less than 10 days, I'm just sorry.

J E CUSTOM

So to all of those that order from premium barrel makers, sorry about
my misunderstanding of what you consider a pre fit compared to others. And for those that order from a catalog and receive it in less than 10 days, I'm just sorry.

J E CUSTOM

We call those guys "mail order marksmen".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.