Best poweder for a 270 win

Montanasloth

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to start reloading with my father in-law, and I was looking for advice on the best powder for a 270 win. I want to know which powder is the least affected by temperature, since early in rifle season in MT it can be 20 degrees in the morning and up to 50 in the afternoon, and later in the season it is almost guaranteed to be in the negative double digest where I hunt. Any advice from the wealth of knowledge that you folks have would be appreciated.

I use IMR 4350 for my 130 gr loads. I have found 54.0 grains to be most accurate in my rifle. Not a max load, but you should start with a smaller charge and work your way up.

I have very good luck with 60 H4831SC (not max load for me but as always work your way up safely), WLR, 150 NBT, WW brass, 2.75" CBTO while fireforming to .270 AI -- MV = 3193 FPS SD = 3 FPS <.5 MOA at 100 yards out of 30" 1:8" 3-groove Lilja barrel.

Last edited:
I use RE22 in mine with 130gr or 150gr pills, never noticed any temp sensativity isuues. Did try H4831sc, but results weren't up to scratch.

Cheers.
gun)

Hands down for me it is H4831 or the SC version. When you are talking below zero it probably will not matter what powder you use it will run slow. Be sure and use a mag primer and Fed 215s are about the hottest. Also take into mind that if you work up loads in the summer you are probably wasting your time if you are thinking you will get the same results when it is below zero. If you want to really know what will happen at below zero temps do your work up when it is below zero.

Working up a load in the summer probably wouldn't be helpful for the below zero weather I would have to agree. I am hoping I can get something worked up before rifle season and I'm hoping that since the area I go shoot is high in elevation and closer to where we hunt that the temperature won't be so crazy. I understand that it is going to be a process but I appreciate all the advice. For what its worth I'll probably be using 140 grain accubonds or the 130 grain version. Depends on what groups best in the ol ruger.

All powders have some temp instability in them. Some are engineered to minimize that instability. RL-22 isn't the worst but, it is far from the best. It is high on the list for high energy/velocity in a number of cartridges.

H4831 is one of the best for temp stability, and does a fairly good job at accuracy and speed.

For hunting purposes you'll not really notice a difference. A 75fps fluctuation (drop) in velocity is only going to give you about a one inch more in drop at 400 yards. Most of us kill animals under 400 yards and a 75fps drop would be a lot (more likely 25-50fps)...so in the end find the load that makes your rifle sing and go kill stuff.

H4831 and 130-140 gr bullets easy an accurate start at 54gr and work up to 58-59grs I've loaded for 15 of the ..270s and they have all been good with this even getn cloverleafs out of a few all were under 1" good luck

Working up a load in the summer probably wouldn't be helpful for the below zero weather I would have to agree. I am hoping I can get something worked up before rifle season and I'm hoping that since the area I go shoot is high in elevation and closer to where we hunt that the temperature won't be so crazy. I understand that it is going to be a process but I appreciate all the advice. For what its worth I'll probably be using 140 grain accubonds or the 130 grain version. Depends on what groups best in the ol ruger.

I develop my loads in the summer and adjust as required before hunting season. Haven't had to make any adjustments thus far.

When I used to load for my 270 I also had the best luck with H4831, and then the 'sc' when it was introduced. I also used Federal 215 Magnum primers and my rifle certainly liked that better.

H4350 is also a great choice.

The new enduron powders are suppose to be fairly temp stable... and they claim IMR 7977 will push a 140 over 3000fps. That is nothing to sneeze at. I have not played with any of the endurons or the new RL-23, RL-26 (which also have lofty claims) yet.

I got my last .270 about 15 years ago. The very first load I tried was 55.0 grs. of IMR 4350 pushing a 130 gr Nosler. My first 3 shot group could almost be covered by a dime! I was totally amazed. To this date that was the best group I ever shot with a .270.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.