Best powders for 7mmMag...

My friends and I own four Remingtons in 7 Rem mag. They all like the 168 classic hunter with 71-73 gr of Retumbo. Average velocity for these four rifles with 26" barrels is 3079 fps.

To me you've got that backwards... Because 7828 has a slower burn rate than Reloder 22. :D

splitting hairs muddy...:D:D:D
rl22 and 7828 have loaded grain for grain in most 7rems I've had. rl25 is a good bit slower in actuality than 7828, as the pressure traces for my 7stw proved. Closed bomb testing makes a chart.... not always the most accurate but a place to throw a dart at to start with anyway.

I'm looking to see what everyone's favorite combo is for there 7mm. I'm shooting H-1000 right know and groups are not as good as this gun should be shooting. Coming outta 26" barrel. Hearing a Lotta good stuff bout IMR-7828, H-4831sc and Retumbo but I usually like shooting steel at 50 to 70 degrees but come deer season it usually runs around the 20 to 30 degrees when I'm hunting.

the 7rem is not quite overbore enough to use the retumbo and similar powders in all instances. I've had to go with a good bit faster powder a few times in rifles that weren't behaving with slow burners when the cartridge wasn't overbore enough to really put a load on the powder with the given bullet weight.
For example I had one 7rem up 'till last year that would puke on 7828 with 140 sierra's. The last three 7rems before that shot lights out with the combo and this rifle did too until the temp fell a bit; then she'd shoot around corners. I went to rl22 and she was a bit better; I ate 100 fps and went to 4064 and she went to 1/2 moa unless I screwed up... If you are using a but more bullet weight something like 4350 would likely be your friend.

That's true, Retumbo really shines with heavy for caliber bullets. You need something faster is you want to shoot light-for-caliber bullets. That's why I like the 175 grain bullet with Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.