best powder for reloading 308.

Master Yoda

I am new to reloading and wanted to get some advice on the best powder for the 308?, or the best several. I will be loading with the 150 grain bullet.
Thanks

Alas, there is no smiley for flogging a dead horse.
Do you have a book on reloading?
*Which* 150 grain?
For *what* model rifle?
Do you have powder? Primers? Brass?
You might want to read this page:

Alas, there is no smiley for flogging a dead horse.
Do you have a book on reloading?
*Which* 150 grain?
For *what* model rifle?
Do you have powder? Primers? Brass?
You might want to read this page:
I agree with you here. I have already looked over the the 12 reloading manuals that I have and I know that I have at least three powders that will work. It is enjoyable to see what others have tried and had success with even if my rifles shot what appears to be a shotgun pattern with the same thing. Sometimes it makes me go back and try a load again, or try a powder or bullet that I have not tried. Even more important it gives me something to read while I drink my coffee. Happy shooting.

In this climate of shortages, finding a good powder for a .308 W is easier than most others.

I have used these powders with 150-155 bullets in my .308W's with complete satisfaction:

IMR 8208 (extruded, single base)
CFE 223 (ball)
IMR, H 4895 (extruded, single base))
IMR 4064 (extruded, single base)
RL 15 (extruded, double base)
VARGET (extruded, single base)
2000 MR (ball)
RS TAC (ball)

Start your hunt at your LGS (local gun store).

Many years ago I used H380 with 168 grain Sierra's & Hornady's for competition, it worked very well but with modest velocities. The above list does not include Accurate powders, I have had no experience with them. CFE223 gives zippy velocities with 150's & 155"s.

Norma 203b...(same as reloader 15.) Available before, available now. I like the norma bottles better because they are shorter (overall half the size of normal 1lb bottles) and I can store more on a shelf.

I shoot 168gr SMK HPBT's or 168gr Berger Classic hunters, doesn't matter.

I've never tried Varget, but if I ever find it I would give it a whirl.

Sometimes it makes me go back and try a load again, or try a powder or bullet that I have not tried. Even more important it gives me something to read while I drink my coffee.
I'm sure I come off like a d1ck in some of the things I write, but when typing with thumbs on a phone, I opt for the most direct response.
At a keyboard now, thinking of "150 grain" projectiles, of the powders I have on hand:
IMR 4064
RL15
RL16
TAC
H322 / H335 (seldom)
W748 / W760
VV N140 / N135 / N550
2000MR
AA 2230 (lighter bullets only)
Bought a bunch of Varget to try, but someone offered me more than what I paid, so I sold it.
I don't load for 308 much anymore since I gave away 2 of my three.
Ones I prefer:
RL16 & N135 for greatest accuracy
TAC/ W760 / 2000MR / AA2230 for easiest metering.