Best powder for 308 benchrest

Newbies take Note!!! There's a reason old powders are still around ,some are cheaper and most run lower pressure ,reading on these pages keeps me Sharp Thanks to all our Great Members ! & Forum Staff !!!,cheers .

I just received a rifle set up for benchrest shooting. It has a 25" Lilja barrel with a 1-12" twist, McMillan benchrest stock & a Jewell trigger. I plan to shoot Sierra 155 MK bullets. I have narrowed the powder choice down to the following: Varget, Reloder 15 & H4895. Is there one of these powders that you would recommend over the others? I will be shooting in temps between 40 & 90 degrees. Would Reloder 15 be at a disadvantage?

Thank you.
Varget, CFE-223, LeverEvolution, BLC-2...All are around the same burn rate. Find whichever works best for you, and gives you the most consistent performance, and buy in bulk (same lot #).

Word of wisdom about cfe 223. It's a very high energy powder. It goes from safe to over pressure very quickly. Any changes in components like brass , primers and bullets should be made with a reduced powder charge and work up in small charge weights.

Word of wisdom about cfe 223. It's a very high energy powder. It goes from safe to over pressure very quickly. Any changes in components like brass , primers and bullets should be made with a reduced powder charge and work up in small charge weights.
I find it to be good practice that anytime I change anything, I reduce the load and re-work it back up. A few bullets and some powder and primers is cheaper than a new rifle. ;)

Thanks to all those who responded. I think I'll start with Varget and then H-4895. I like that they are "Extreme" powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.