Best powder for '06?

G

Best powder for \'06?

I am using a Rem.ADL '06, 22" barrel and have had very good results using 150gr.with RL 15 @2885 fps.
My question is; whats a good powder for the 165 gr bullets? Also the 180 grainers.

Thanks

Re: Best powder for \'06?

I have been having a lot of luck with IMR 4350 and 168gr bullets in the wife's 30-06. We are using this combination to compete out to 1000 yds as well as for hunting.

I have enough reloading to do that I don't need to complicate my life with multiple loads for each rifle.

Peter Cronhelm

I load 63 gr of RL-22 under 190gr Sierra Matchkings (moly coated). This averages 2902 fps from my 26" barreled 30-06. No pressure signs.

Nosler #4 manual lists The following performance from a 24" Lilja Barrel:

165gr bullet
63 gr RL-22
3002 fps

180 gr bullet
61 gr RL-22
2872 fps

MM

H4350 extreme has been my favorite powder for the 165/168gr and 30-06. Burns clean, very accurate and vel what you expect.

Also, when hunting in the cold, vel. stay the same as warmer weather. Drop tables stay pretty much the same.

I have also found match primers (CCI BR2) to really help my long range groups.

If looking for more brass, I have had wonderful luck with the surplus Lake City LC69 brass available for cheap. Very durable, and consistent. Shooting sub MOA out of my hunting rifle to 600yds (3 rd groups).

Good luck...

Jerry

Believe it or not RE 15 is an EXCELLENT ACCURACY powder for the 165's and 180's. You may loose about 100 fps over and above the slower powders but, there have been many tests I've read where re 15 gave excellent accuracy with the heavier bullets too!

Thanks ever one for answering my question. I was thinking of trying the H4350 and I do know that RL 15 is also very good. Ever since last year when I had a bad experience using RL22 in a 300 Win. I am now steering away from this powder, but not only was it myself, but another man 6 months later had the same experience-a "lot" that was very hot.

I have enough brass for this caliber that I could throw away every casing that I shoot for the next 15 years and still have enough for my son to keep shooting. The rifle range here doesn't care if you get any of the brass, its free for anyone. So I get box's upon box's every fall.

Thanks again everyone
Coyote Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.