Best position for groups

Can anyone recommend an affordable front rest?
I have seen people use old blue jean pant legs, filled with kitty litter. Sew the ends closed. Light weight, cheap, and very effective. If you can align several by stacking on top of each other (front and back) so the crosshair lines up on the target without having to hold it in place, you should be good. You shouldn't have to fight it to get the crosshair onto the target. Any outward force you have to apply to the rifle will affect your group, other than just holding it firmly to control the rifle when it recoils. The lead sled will definitely cause damage to scope, stock, and other components if you have it weighted down heavily to prevent it from free recoiling. Especially if you shoot it numerous times. Without any weight on it, and allowing it to move back upon firing, it should be safe for a couple of shots. I use sandbags, and never a lead sled.

I hear this a lot, really like to know why, seriously , how does the gun know if it's in a sled or on a heavy guys arm? We've used a lead sled for years and never had a issue with either gun or scope, but we don't use lead bags in it, only use it for support, but also now I've moved to a long range shooting stand with only my shoulder for recoil, and that's a issue as have 3 of 4 tendons torn in my shoulder and unrepairable. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Definitely keep using the sled if your potential to damage your shoulder is greater with shooting without it. If it's been working well for you keep using it. Generally speaking they can cause damage but definitely doesn't mean it always will. Also I'd suggest using a side port muzzle brake and ear pro to help reduce the recoil. Or maybe a suppressor.

Since the lead sled is weighted down, it works to stop the recoil by applying a lot of force to the stock that the stock would not be exposed to if there was a human absorbing the recoil and slowing down the acceleration and thus force applied to the stock is less with a human than a lead sled.

Hard for me to explain, I'm sure someone else can jump in and give a better explanation.
You did okay!

I seen & heard more bad habbits from people using a Leadsled.

First thing i recommend is to chuck it in the dumpster!

As for best shooting position, i'd say it depends.

Having never been taught to shoot from the prone, i'm not fully comfortable with it.

I do zeroing and load development from the bench with a front rest & rear bag.

Later i'll shoot while positioned against a post to simulate a convient tree.
I'll also set my portable stool up, put my backpack on it and plop my butt on the ground.
Makes a nice field expedient bench rest.
So....do you put your back....or shoulder against the post...which ones more comfortable?🤣

I have seen people use old blue jean pant legs, filled with kitty litter. Sew the ends closed. Light weight, cheap, and very effective. If you can align several by stacking on top of each other (front and back) so the crosshair lines up on the target without having to hold it in place, you should be good. You shouldn't have to fight it to get the crosshair onto the target. Any outward force you have to apply to the rifle will affect your group, other than just holding it firmly to control the rifle when it recoils. The lead sled will definitely cause damage to scope, stock, and other components if you have it weighted down heavily to prevent it from free recoiling. Especially if you shoot it numerous times. Without any weight on it, and allowing it to move back upon firing, it should be safe for a couple of shots. I use sandbags, and never a lead sled.
I tried filling my old jeans with kitty litter, but it was so I didn't have to leave the stand when nature calls. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I will let them dry out and try them as sand bags after the snow melts.

Much prefer prone on a shooting mat with bipod and good rear bag. I am much more consistent shot to shot, cheek weld pressure, shoulder pressure, hand position, with less body tension than when I am sitting at the bench….

If I have to be on a bench because there's too much snow on the ground for line of sight, I will stand up and lean over the bench modified prone, weight forward of my hips. Sitting upright I don't have a body position that can soak up recoil as effectively.

I get the benchresters use a solid front rest and rest bag, but their rifles also weigh a lot more than my hunting rifles or even my match gun.

I used a led sled once and quickly realized it was not for me, nor was i as consistent shooting off of it.

Prone with a M-1/M14 cotton sling takes some time and effort but once learned bipods are not needed and I believe 90% of people could shoot within 1 min. and lots more well within 1/2 min. Old military training films show proper technique there are no benches where I hunt nor at any military ranges I have ever shot in. It's kind of funny that 98% of the shooting community has no idea how to properly use a sling nor has ever seen or used one properly

I attended the FBI sniper school in 2004 and the vast majority of our shooting was done prone, certainly many other shooting positions / environments were taught as well, shooting from wnidows five stories up, from a hide in the back of a rooom through a window, prone on a roof, etc. My best accuracy was done prone, one group measured .012 (3 rounds). A lot of stress shooting was employed and my 200 yd test measured .27 (3 rounds). No handloads, Federal 168 GM factory loads. Bi-pod and butt bag with forward press on the bi-pod to load it. Since then I've had neck surgery and fused some vertabrea so prone is difficult but I can elevate my chest with a backpack that is not full and use the bi-pod effectively. Like the Marines say, adapt and overcome. Fundamentals of breathing correctly, making sure you pull straight back on the trigger and being relaxed mean more than shooting positions but you still have to be somewhat comfortable or you'll ever be able to relax. No led sled for me.

I agree with R. Cram, I learned those skills in the Army over 50 years ago and whhile I don't practice them as much as I did, thet definately work. Toughen up those elbows boys.

Can anyone recommend an affordable front rest?

Here is a good one, not a bad price:

I tried filling my old jeans with kitty litter, but it was so I didn't have to leave the stand when nature calls. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I will let them dry out and try them as sand bags after the snow melts.
I'm sorry, but first you have to remove the long brown things from the kitty litter. Otherwise the smell might be a little pungent. And it's just the pant legs, not the pockets...