Best position for groups

I used a lead sled until I gained the confidence to shoot straight with a bipod and rear bag. It was never weighted down and would give with the recoil of my bigger magnums. But once I got better shooting with the bipod and bag, I figured that's the way I'm going to hunt, so I might as well do all my load work up and practice that way. The only difference is I do the load work up off a bench. When I go out to ring steel, it's most always prone.

After neck and shoulder surgery, shooting prone is not a comfortable experience for me anymore so it's a good solid bench with a front rest and rear bag for best groups. I will also practice shooting standing and sitting with a RRS tripod, Anvil 30 head, and an ARCA rail on my rifle for distance shots on steel which mimics some hunting conditions.

I practice 'off hand' because I never find a table when I see an animal.

This is my Remington 700 30-06 with Remington round nose Core-Lokt (I use a lot in the N.Y. Adirondacks)

I think the X shot came first - a little off. Then I got excited and made the second shot that split the ring. I have another Remington 700 in 7mmRemMag just like the 30-06 and it shoots just as good. I will see if I can find a 300yd off hand target with it. I found a 100yd target for the 'twin' Remington 700 7mmRemMag. I shoot it 'off hand' too.
I would say this is some really good shooting and a skill that most don't have. However, reloading and the accuracy part of reloading is very much like lab testing. Meaning that eliminating variables is key. By shooting off hand, most people are going to introduce a plethora of variables and mistakes that might render the load development useless.

My recommendation and lifelong approach has always been to shoot in whatever position gives you the best alignment with the rifle, so the recoil impulse is straight back, and not glancing off the side of your shoulder, or your finger glancing off the side of the trigger.

Also, lead sleds are bad in almost every way possible and I avoid using.them. Bad for the rifle, bad for the optics, and bad for your shooting technique.

For me, benchrest always. You can be much more comfortable and consistent for longer periods of time from a bench then in the prone position. Load development isn't a fast process generally.

You should never ever use a lead sled. They can damage your scope/rifle. Plus the load may or may not work once off the sled if development is done in a sled.
I hear this a lot, really like to know why, seriously , how does the gun know if it's in a sled or on a heavy guys arm? We've used a lead sled for years and never had a issue with either gun or scope, but we don't use lead bags in it, only use it for support, but also now I've moved to a long range shooting stand with only my shoulder for recoil, and that's a issue as have 3 of 4 tendons torn in my shoulder and unrepairable. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ive often wondered about that and have never got an answer. I would think any change in shooting position setup can affect POI?
You're absolutely right. It's very important to check things out. My most accurate rifle I have shoots most groups prone in the .2-.3 range. I found if zeroing off my bipod prone with rear bag and then shooting off my tripod with the same rear bag the groups would be about 1/4" lower at 100 yards very predictably. Not enough of a shift to matter for the purpose of that rifle but still pretty interesting when you start playing with things.

Most of my load development and fine tuning is mostly done from a bench, but….I use a bipod and rear bag. I cant the bipod a bit since it is too tall to be on target and will allow a more rearward recoil without as much bounce.

E6BDDC76-A3D5-489D-BB50-019D451EC547.jpeg
201B8B2A-40BE-4D85-BA4A-8894C6748998.jpeg

Most of my load development and fine tuning is mostly done from a bench, but….I use a bipod and rear bag. I cant the bipod a bit since it is too tall to be on target and will allow a more rearward recoil without as much

Yeah it seems I've had best luck with the bipod and rear bag set up off the bench as well. I'm shooting a 280AI no brake so when I have the option to "load" the bipod with my body weight I have much better results compared to front rest where I can't "load" the rifle as well and can't. Control the recoil as consistently either.

It's the jarring when fired from being somewhat fixed. The rifles not able to recoil naturally. Can cause poi shift also. Not the best for zeroing.
Once upon a time I had a Lead Sled. Note that the key words here are once upon a time. What is in the manufacturer's brochure and what happens in real life are two entirely different things, The lead sled is supposed to hold the rifle so there is no rearward movement. Now after learning the hard way that Newton's law of motion will not be denied. I was attempting to sight in a 30-06 Remington 742 for a friend. The first shot seemed OK, but the second shot broke the stock at the grip. Without give in the Lead Sled the motion of the suppressed recoil had to go somewhere. In this case it broke the stock during the suppressed recoil. Not only did it break the stock but bent the stock mounting bolt too. Another issue is that when you put the rear of the stock into the cradle it is now impossible to get a good sight picture since the extra space added at the rear between the lead sled and your shoulder screws up your eye relief so sighting becomes an issue with parallax problems. Got a used stock and bolt from Numrich Arms and repaired the rifle and the lead sled went down the road. I have been using Carlson front and rear bags since. A bit harder on the shoulder but doesn't damage the rifle or scope.

Once upon a time I had a Lead Sled. Note that the key words here are once upon a time. What is in the manufacturer's brochure and what happens in real life are two entirely different things, The lead sled is supposed to hold the rifle so there is no rearward movement. Now after learning the hard way that Newton's law of motion will not be denied. I was attempting to sight in a 30-06 Remington 742 for a friend. The first shot seemed OK, but the second shot broke the stock at the grip. Without give in the Lead Sled the motion of the suppressed recoil had to go somewhere. In this case it broke the stock during the suppressed recoil. Not only did it break the stock but bent the stock mounting bolt too. Another issue is that when you put the rear of the stock into the cradle it is now impossible to get a good sight picture since the extra space added at the rear between the lead sled and your shoulder screws up your eye relief so sighting becomes an issue with parallax problems. Got a used stock and bolt from Numrich Arms and repaired the rifle and the lead sled went down the road. I have been using Carlson front and rear bags since. A bit harder on the shoulder but doesn't damage the rifle or scope.
I am a NO on the Lead Sled, but…..it can be beneficial sometimes. For instance when zeroing a scope. Shoot the first round not with the lead sled, set the rifle in the lead sled, affix it where it can't move and then adjust reticle from bullseye to POI. Minimum shots required to zero.

Another use is for holding your rifle in place during the cleaning process.

I will also mention if the Lead Sled is NOT loaded with additional weight, which allows it to move during recoil then I see minimal harm in using it if needed. I have done this many many times in the past with no damage to any rifle, however at the same time not gaining any shooting skill development.