best portable shooting bench?

rufous

I have an Armor Metal Products Shooting Bench (they are out of Helena, MT) and it has served me well over the years but I do notice that if I lean into it my reticle will move substantially. I wonder if there is a more solid portable shooting bench available. I have looked at photos and descriptions of the BR Pivot Shooting Bench available from www.varmintmasters.net but they are quite expensive and I wonder if they were really any more stable than what I have. Have any of you used both products? If so what are your thoughts on the stability of both? I do not have a place to shoot with a solid concrete bench so I just set up my portable bench on some farm land. Thanks for any help, Rufous.

It is only 15 years since this question was put out there. I just surfed into it. I have rebuilt the Armor bench because I wore out the original. I rebuilt it with double 3/4 inc marine plywood and protected it. The legs were cleaned up and reused. The support for the legs is VERY important to the stability of the unit. A picture of mine is available if anyone wants it.

I also had the BR Pivot for many years but the ended up galling and becoming junk. It broke by heart to throw a $850 unit away but it served me well when it rotated. Had it mounted in a 8 by Polaris for groundhog hunting.

I've built 5 or 6 out of steel. Three legs at 120 degree angles. Weigh about 90lbs and fit in my receiver hitch. Double 3/4 plywood coated. Seat and top swivel as one unit. I use 2"OD and 2 3/8 OD for a perfect fit. Last FOREVER. If you wear one out IDK what you are doing on it lol. Certainly not shooting. Not as solid as concrete but I have shot against guys on concrete and not felt at a disadvantage.
And if you are on game it is the absolute shizzle. My son killed 3 deer off of it at age 8 with my 32 lb Edge on the move at over 400.

Sounds solid alright but I would not want almost 180 degrees of shooting blocked by my vehicle.I go to high ground and can put the gun and rests on the ground to re-aim toward critter. Mine has enough weight and well positioned legs that even a much heavier bench would not be more fixed,

Or did you mean that you can separate it from the vehicle? Are your legs adjustable? Mine are not but I carry different size slivers of wood to level.

Sounds solid alright but I would not want almost 180 degrees of shooting blocked by my vehicle.I go to high ground and can put the gun and rests on the ground to re-aim toward critter. Mine has enough weight and well positioned legs that even a much heavier bench would not be more fixed,

Or did you mean that you can separate it from the vehicle? Are your legs adjustable? Mine are not but I carry different size slivers of wood to level.
I take it out so vehicle doesn't block you. I level mine by adjusting it on the ground, ou can always turn the legs and get it level enough You could easily put adjusters on the legs but after using them for 20 yrs I have never seen the need. I shoot multiple does at a time doing control and a bench like that is the best. I have tried the commercial ones in stores and they are nowhere near the stability. Too thin of steel, saves money to build and is OK for most shooters, not for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.