Best pack for mountain hunting

Have been using the Kuiu icon pro 7200 for the past 6 or 7 years. Love it! Majority of dall sheep, caribou, mountain goat hunts I have been on require substantial amount of gear, as they are 4-10 day hunts. Only draw back to this particular pack, is you can put more weight in it than you should. For hauling meat, its nice to drop legs in and secure them close to your back with the internal straps. More than enough pockets on it as well. Would recommend for longer hauls in to the backcountry.

Have someone tried Granite Gear's packs? I see that they make military-spec backpacks since some years ago (but have never seen them in real life). Very pricey - but I have a lightweight one that I have loved for many years.

The military ones looks like top quality.

Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch make some of the best packs out there. Would highly recommend going that route if you can spare the extra $$$. I have an Eberlestock M5 "Team Elk". I've ran it for the past 5 years in multiple states. Its fully functional and there isn't much it can't do. However the the MR and SG packs do it all more comfortably in my opinion.
I have an MR and speak to packing out 2 bulls this past January with about 12 miles total and with that much weight it was much more comfortable than my sons alpz outdoors.

In a product category with so many great made in the USA options, I can't bring myself to buy overseas regardless of low price from cheap labor. I have my favorite USA made brand that has worked well for me for over 20 years. When I tore it through abuse, they sewed it back up for me promptly at no charge. That was 15 years ago. I have since upgraded.

Between my son and I we have owned 3 different USA made brands with complete success on all 3. We've settled on Kifaru as they fit us the best of all 3.

If money is tight, you'll see used USA made packs at great prices used. Best of luck.

Badlands and eberlestock make good packs but are not the best at heavy load packouts...ie anything over 80lbs for a mile or longer. Kifaru was the beat gear purchase ive made and I can now pack out a full mule deer. Do that with a badlands and youll be flirting with nerve damage or compressed disks.
Badlands came out with a new series of packs. MRK2 MRK3 & MRK6 I believe. I used to have their Vario frame pack but sold it due to slightly too big of frame for me and on the heavier side. I have ordered their MRK2 (2400 ci) pack now to save some weight and it's supposed to more comfortable and designed to haul meat. Hopefully will get to test that this year.

** I bought Badlands because I got them for 50%off. If I didn't have that discount, I would most likely have a SG pack **

I have an MR and speak to packing out 2 bulls this past January with about 12 miles total and with that much weight it was much more comfortable than my sons alpz outdoors.
Yep, not even close in comparison
The Alpz's are solid for those shorter trips but long haul, definitely better options.

After hours of research I bought a Kuiu Pro3600 to replace my old Badlands 2200. Ive been getting it dialed in the last few weeks and it sure is comfortable! I plan to put it through the ringer at the end of the month on my annual Colorado Elk hunt.

Lots of great pack options in that price point but I feel Kuiu offers the most adjustment for a comfortable fit under heavy load and lightweight. I also love that I can swap packs quickly on the carbon frame system. If I didnt buy the Kuiu it was between Seek or Kifaru but heavily on the Seek Outside as I love their customer service and know they build quality products and stand behind them if you need anything
James

I would totally disagree that the Kifaru feels like a board strapped to my back! If you ask anyone that has seriously used their Kifaru they will tell you how comfortable the belt, shoulder straps, etc are. They also have amazing adjustments for your particular torso length, shoulders, etc. I just looked at the Seek Outside frames and there is no comparison for padding compared to the Kifaru. The shoulder straps and belt are paper thin and don't appear to have much padding? There is a reason that Seek Outside is super light weight. When I have my Kifaru on my back I hardly even notice it's on my back with loads under 40 lbs. When I am hauling 80 to100 lb loads over steep, rocky terrain I am certainly glad I have a rock solid frame with extremely nice padding on the belt, toro, and shoulders!
I agree about the Kifaru being superior under heavy loads. I've had mine for 8 hunting/guiding seasons, probably packed about 40 Bull Elk off the mountains in mine, not a single failure yet. Not one buckle, strap, or zipper.

Last edited:
You pay a weight penalty with the Kifaru but that extra beef should add strength!
James
I agree about the Kifaru being superior under heavy loads. I've haqd mine for 8 hunting/guiding seasons, probably packed about 40 Bull Elk off the mountains in mine, not a single failure yet. Not one buckle, strap, or zipper.

I have 2 lighter weight Sitka packs. In most situations I grab my Kifaru because even with light loads it is a lot more comfortable strapped to my back all day long....especially after a week of scouting or hunting. Most daypacks are only designed for max loads of 20 to 40 lbs. I've found that empty pack weight to some extent is meaningless. I hardly know I have my pack on my back with my Kifaru with a 15 to 20 lb load. Over several days with my lighter weight Sitka daypacks my neck, shoulders, and back would be sore with the same 20 lb load. I'm pretty sure even the highest quality daypacks would have this same problem since they aren't really designed with a rigid frame, shoulder harness, and padded belt.

I actually had packs narrowed down to Kifaru and Stone Glacier several years ago. The Stone Glacier was a tag lighter weight but I chose Kifaru because it came in camo and had so many great accessories and bag options.

EXO. I have three: one K² 3500 Multicam for NW hunting (my favorite hunting pack), a K³ with 4800, and 6400 bags in Multicam for Canada/AK hunts, and a K³ 3200 in Fusion for hikes/working out with plates and everday stuff.

Last edited: