Best pack for mountain hunting

How does Badlands fit in the pack pecking order?

My Old version badland ox and newer version 2200 don't compare to my exo K3 6400.

2200- 5lb
Old ox- ~12lb
Exo k3 6400 with optional lid- 5lb 9oz

2200 hauled an entire quartered deer with bone in, tenderloin, backstrap and skull. Don't recommend it, my body had some hot spots and sore spots for days. Was painful. Was trying to a save trip to switch out to ox. Never used 2200 for heavy pack out again.

Ox has been weighed over 100lb. It gave me some hot spots and sore shoulder/hip for a few days. Don't use this pack anymore since using exo k3.

Exo K3 6400. Same loads, so much more comfortable. Don't use any badlands anymore.

My first two seasons backpack hunting, I foolishly thought I could get away with an old Alice pack with some serious mileage on it from my deployments to Afghanistan. Then a few seasons ago, in the middle of a 2,000 foot gain packout on a >90° day, I decided it was finally time to ditch it and invest in a dedicated hunting pack.

I considered the usuals (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, EXO) but settled on a Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900, and haven't looked back. Excellent craftmanship, and big enough for 7-10 days, or packs down plenty small for a day hunt. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands people have listed here, they're all going to be top notch quality, it'll come down to your personal preferences.

Last edited:
Like diesel trucks Dodge, Chevy or Ford's they're all good. I'm what they call a backpack whore and have Badlands, Eberlestock, Kuiu, EXO, Outdoorsmen, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. I did this over 18 years of wilderness hunting and have learned a lot about packs over the years. 1st thing is everyone has a different body type and what might be amazing for me, is not as comfortable for others. You need to have a buddy like me ha. Try on all the packs you can and get outside. Put 40 to 100 lbs and quickly the right pack will come clear for you. I'm running a Kifaru with 22 mag gen Ii pack for days and Mountain Warrior with guide lid for week long trips. Really liking this combination right now. Think I bought my last backpack. Just before my wife divorced me for amounts of money I've spent over the years so good thing!! 👍

Seek Outside is my favorite pack for hunting. I owned an Eberlestock. Too heavy, and didn't carry nearly as well as the Seek Outside.

This is the pack I have:

Seek Outside Brooks

Lightweight, extremely comfortable for carrying big loads, durable, can adjust volume from massive to daypack size.

This video will give you a feel for the features of this pack:

Seek Outside is my favorite pack for hunting. I owned an Eberlestock. Too heavy, and didn't carry nearly as well as the Seek Outside.

This is the pack I have:

Seek Outside Brooks

Lightweight, extremely comfortable for carrying big loads, durable, can adjust volume from massive to daypack size.

This video will give you a feel for the features of this pack:

I've used their Silvertip tent/stove and it's phenomenal, was curious about their packs. Might have to take a serious look at one now.

Lots of good options out there, but it would be hard to go wrong with an Exo. I'm still running one of their first gen packs from 2014 and it continues to perform, but their current line is a notch above. Great company and customer service as well.

we have had great luck with mystery ranch metcalf's. handles elk hind quarters w/ bone in with ease. we've been running these the past 2 seasons, 3 different bulls packed out of the nasty north idaho jungle. I really would've liked to went with kifaru but not having the ability to try them on locally was the deciding factor.

Used Kifaru for several years, recently switched to Stone Glacier - both in the 5000ci capacity range. I can't say one pack is "better" than the other but the stone glacier fits me alot "better". Both are awesome packs and handle heavy loads well. Minimal weight difference when empty. I strongly suggest trying on as many as you can, with weight in them, adjust them to your size/torso - one of the top brands brought up above will stand out to you.

I've been using the Exo Mountaingear k36400 for 18 months. I really like it for spike/drop camp hunts. I did a 10 day mule deer hunt and had room to spare. It collapses on itself really well; you can drop all your camp stuff and keep everything you need for the day on your back.

Top 3 packs for mountain hunting and packing out heavy loads of meat are Kifaru, EXO and Stone Glacier. Barneys packs are awesome for hauling heavy loads but for an overall mountain pack I put the first 3 I mentioned as a better choice. Mystery Ranch would come in after those packs in my opinion the KUIU and some of the others. All that being said if I wasn't packed in super far and wasn't hunting elk or moose I like the Kuiu pack a lot. I have used or have been friends using all of the packs above. I have used the Kifaru the most for heavy loads and I don't have any reason to change packs.

If they fit you, nothing beats a Seek Outside in my opinion. Kifaru is the classic mountain hunting pack but is heavy and feels like a board strapped to your back. I know EXO and Stone Glacier have a lot of fans, and I know that SG in particular is really well made and designed, but I do not think any of them can match Seek Outside for comfort and for meeting the minimalist needs of a mountain hunter.

Go with an integrated Seek Outside pack if you can live without a meat shelf, and you can save a lot of money compared to the other high-end packs.

I would totally disagree that the Kifaru feels like a board strapped to my back! If you ask anyone that has seriously used their Kifaru they will tell you how comfortable the belt, shoulder straps, etc are. They also have amazing adjustments for your particular torso length, shoulders, etc. I just looked at the Seek Outside frames and there is no comparison for padding compared to the Kifaru. The shoulder straps and belt are paper thin and don't appear to have much padding? There is a reason that Seek Outside is super light weight. When I have my Kifaru on my back I hardly even notice it's on my back with loads under 40 lbs. When I am hauling 80 to100 lb loads over steep, rocky terrain I am certainly glad I have a rock solid frame with extremely nice padding on the belt, toro, and shoulders!