Best Pack Food

like everyone has said....if it's light it won't be cheap lol and by all means field strip everything before you carry it...I cringe whenever I come across someone packing the store shelf packaging ....think freezer bags and only the size you need for that item, no extra room plus they handle boiling water very well.

I run freeze dried for my evening meal. Pick a brand most are similar some have better options etc. In any brand you will be ready for your "am" movement lol.

I run ramen and freeze dried veggies for lunch and of course the standard bars, trail mix etc < some bars do really well with filling you up with calories so really check them out but be careful they weigh a lot.

On top of that I run instant oatmeal packets with dried fruits for bfast. It is all about calories but don't over do it...personally I try to stay around 2200 calories per day....guys that say 3,000+ calories per day (are right but I think they have a sherpa with them too lol) Ask yourself how can I get the most calories in each meal in the least amount of weight.

If I know water will be plentiful I will cut way down on bars etc and go completely freeze dried using the options I listed and an extra can of fuel.

By all means drink a lot of water.... besides for hydration - the foods you will be eating contain ridiculous amounts of salt and sugar.

I look at this way....I am out there for a given amount of time, for each tag in my pocket, and certain number of days per hunt - basically turn into a machine at some point....food in, waste out... keep moving, find the animals, and kill them.

Last edited:
like everyone has said....if it's light it won't be cheap lol and by all means field strip everything before you carry it...I cringe whenever I come across someone packing the store shelf packaging ....think freezer bags and only the size you need for that item, no extra room plus they handle boiling water very well.

I run freeze dried for my evening meal. Pick a brand most are similar some have better options etc. In any brand you will be ready for your "am" movement lol.

I run ramen and freeze dried veggies for lunch and of course the standard bars, trail mix etc < some bars do really well with filling you up with calories so really check them out but be careful they weigh a lot.

On top of that I run instant oatmeal packets with dried fruits for bfast. It is all about calories but don't over do it...personally I try to stay around 2200 calories per day....guys that say 3,000+ calories per day (are right but I think they have a sherpa with them too lol) Ask yourself how can I get the most calories in each meal in the least amount of weight.

If I know water will be plentiful I will cut way down on bars etc and go completely freeze dried using the options I listed and an extra can of fuel.

By all means drink a lot of water.... besides for hydration - the foods you will be eating contain ridiculous amounts of salt and sugar.

I look at this way....I am out there for a given amount of time, for each tag in my pocket, and certain number of days per hunt - basically turn into a machine at some point....food in, waste out... keep moving find the animals and kill them.
Exactly what he said...^^^

Dehydrated meals are expensive! I have had good luck doing my own chili. Jump on YouTube and you will find out how to do it. As long as you have a dehydrator it is actually easy. Next time you make chili make a little extra and give it a try.

Dehydrated meals are expensive! I have had good luck doing my own chili. Jump on YouTube and you will find out how to do it. As long as you have a dehydrator it is actually easy. Next time you make chili make a little extra and give it a try.
So how do you package your meals, and how long would they last as in shelf life???

I have just tried several of the Peak Refuel selections and will be switching to their brand for my 6 western mountain backpack adventures in 2021.

I was looking for taste, high calorie per ounce, high protein per ounce.

They are not cheap, though.

View attachment 253001
I just tried their Beef Stroganoff.
1) Recommended water amount was 3/4C (not enough)
I ended up using about 1+ cups to get a normal consistency
2) Waay to salty to enjoy the flavor.
They did a nice job with the sauce, just too much salt.

Mountain House wins the Beef Stroganoff shootout in my opinion.

So how do you package your meals, and how long would they last as in shelf life???
Once I have the food dehydrated I vacuum seal them in one meal sized portions. Then I put them in the freezer so I don't have to worry about them going bad. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. They also say fatty meat goes bad faster so using lean meat like elk or deer works great.

Do a search for freezer bag recipes. Dehydrate some of your own foods combine ingredients in quart size freezer bags. Add water and enjoy. They are light weight, cheap and you choose the seasoning.