Best Pack Food

Breakfasts may be the most important meal of the day - and you generally have the time and the energy to make it. I use instant oatmeal and add some dried fruit and maybe wheat germ, (and maybe a little brown sugar if it is unflavoured oatmeal). I eat lots of it because lunch in often on the run. I make boiled coffee in the morning because life without coffee in unbearable, and if the weather is cold I put some in a small, ultralight, thermos for lunch. Supper is one (or two) of the standard packaged meals and that's because I am usually tired, it's often late, and taste doesn't matter much because my taste buds aren't in the best shape at the end of a hard day - but the hot English Breakfast tea spiked with Fireball afterward are what make the meal anyway.

As others have said "good" and "cheap" don't generally come together for backpacking meals. If you're at least a couple trips a year on a consistent basis, I'd just invest in a dehydrator and start making your own. It is VERY easy and shouldn't be nearly as intimidating as it may sound.
Absolutely right! Simple easy and you can do Fruit and meats for everyday school lunches and at home healthy snacks! Dehydrator pays for itself in a few short weeks

When, I was young, and did a lot of backpacking, I did not like the backpacking food, way to salty for me. You and find a lot of food in the grocery store. If you can find it, look at the book, One Burner Gormet.

I use to make my own using quinoa as a base because I was cheap and I have a dehydrator. Now I have better things to do with my time and I am always on the scout on my days off once the garden is planted and the firewood is put up.

I've gone to buying #10 cans of mountain house when they're on sale. I repackage to zip locks and keep them in the fridge until I'm packing. Bulk is more affordable and I decide what size portions to pack depending on how cold it gets. In the winter I'll pour bacon drippings into my supper meals. I'll have meals ready to go all winter and can pack and be out the door in 30 minutes.

I also pre package cereal with powdered milk and brown sugar. I usually don't eat it as a real breakfast because I'm making tracks before daylight and I don't mind that hungry feeling til the sun starts to warm things up and the critters start to bed down.

The taste isn't a priority for me, it's all about calories, fat, sodium and staying hydrated.

2020 was a bad year for trying to find bulk, kind of like ammo.

Mountain house meals and the GNC gel pack things. You can fit about 30 of them in a tiny sustainment pouch in your bag. They have 30mg of caffeine, 110 calories, and vitamins. My buddy and I bought about 60 of those and 4 mountain house meals for mammoth. Worked out perfect.

I have just tried several of the Peak Refuel selections and will be switching to their brand for my 6 western mountain backpack adventures in 2021.

I was looking for taste, high calorie per ounce, high protein per ounce.

They are not cheap, though.

View attachment 253001
The Peak refuel meals are great! I just read about a new one called"Gastro Gnome". Made in Oregon as I think I had read. supposed to well seasoned and not as bad on your gut reaction. Priced like the one mentioned above. Gonna have to order a few and try them out!

Ramen! But dont buy the cheap crap at walmart, find an asian market where you can get the good stuff, still inexpensive. Add whatever you like to it or eat it as is. I like to add cheese, crackers and chicken.
Salami and cheese
pop tarts
instant oatmeal
home made jerky
gorp(home made or store bought)
the original energy bars: snickers and payday!
gu

This is going a bit off topic, but OP hasn't been back in awhile so.... to spice up the discussion.

I enjoy crazy things, and have been on several ultralight boards over the last few years. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is there was a med student who tried to thru-run the AT. Made it 720 miles before he had an injury. He had a unique take on No-Cook and junk food from an endurance athlete perspective, and his food plan actually is light and cheap. But it requires several things, specifically being able to access regular food along the way, and the hiker making the energy output to actually need the cheap calories he's carrying - so it has limited usefulness for middle aged rubes like me who plod along. His ultralight methods are sound; you can disagree with his food side of the ledger, but his equipment use is excellent.

Last edited:
I have been rolling my own meals for a while now. Haven't bought any in a long time.
Cheap and easy and much better

1- at 6'4" @250 lbs I found that "single" packet meals just don't cut it for my needs. I started using double meal in one packets as my dinner meal years ago. So if you are "normal" size you may want to consider double meal packs. As stated, I like to bring venison jerky as simple protein boost as well. I love oatmeal and dried fruit in AM. Easy, fortifying and cheap. Unsalted pistachios out of shell are great for added calories, carbs, add protein and helps control sugar spikes. They are power packed!

The biggest thing to watch for in off the shelf DIY meals is sodium content. Water is always a main conservatory need.

Some things you can go on the "cheap" but its hard to have compact, protein, calorie, energy contained meals that are designed for "refuel" for your body after heavy exertion each day. You wear down much faster if you don't provide the right nutrients for each meal of the day. Just think of your body nutrition needs as a mass balance you have to maintain each day.