Best Pack Food

I tried the Beef Stroganoff and it was waaay salty.
Salt makes everything taste better, but not when it's the dominant flavor.
My Doc would flip out if he caught me eating that !
It also required more water than the package directed.

I lose lots of salt on my vigorous backpack trips.

So it isn't so bad for me, though I have not tried that selection yet.

Salt can be sneaky bad, especially in cold weather. It can be difficult stay up on water in the cold since you don't notice the water you are losing as much and you don't always "feel" as thirsty. too much salt will cause your body to pull water to balance the salt and you will pee more than you sweat. Once the cramps start it's too late.

The Peak refuel meals are very good. The chicken pesto, chicken Alfredo and beef stroganoff are my favorites. I usually add a packet of crushed red peppers to them also. The breakfast granola is pretty darn good also.

If you are packing with a buddy or 2 here's a breakfast that is amazing. Take 1 MH biscuits and gravy and 1 Peak Breakfast skillet. Make them both and then fill a tortilla with a few scoops of each and a packet of hot sauce and devour.

Here is my list for an upcoming hunt:

ItemWeightCals
Probar3.1400
Black Rifle Coffee0.10
Honey Stinger1.2150
HC Packaroon1.1120
6" Flour Tortillas2.2180
Justins Peanutbutter packets2.4420
4 Pieces of precooked bacon0.7140
Snickers2.1250
Monster Trail Mix4560
Almond Butter Biscuts1.41901.56Total Weight (lbs)
Mountain House Meals5.146024.97Total Weight (oz)
Reese Peanutbutter Cups1.62103080TOTAL Cals

My daughter and I have been researching and planning our food for hiking this spring and summer. I have always done MH meals and recently started looking around and buying other brands. Some are pretty good and some are good but small portions.
We have been looking at making our own with our dehydrator. We've got the big one from Cabelas.
Some things we have found are pretty cool and will be trying out in the next few weeks when we go turkey hunting.
Things that can be added to home made meals that are freeze dried. Like Peanut butter, sour cream, honey, Almond milk, almond butter. Several other things that can be mixed in when making the meals ahead of time or added when eating the meals.

Kris

These are the hardest to pack. Usually don't get past trailhead
65163912-39CF-4D98-A097-FD901DD6B7C2.png

I am looking to do more backpacking. I see all the standard backpacking meals but im wondering what alternatives you have found that is very cheap and light weight.
Whichever you decide on the brand, you can supplement it with a good old PBJ sandwich. It is my go-to quick energy boost on my wilderness hunts and backpacking.