Best one man tent

Three trips in a one man and it has sat since. Nah, I'm not a chrysalis. Opted for a nice 2-man that's a little heavier but a whole lot roomier.
My main recommendation is finding one that is self supporting rather than relying on stakes and lines to hold it up. My camping varies to rocks, snow and forest bed. I carry longer stakes for the snow but rocks can present difficulty.

If you can find one the Sierra Designs Solo Assault bivy. I have 2 of them.

sZ93K48.jpg
I'll look that one up. Way roomier than mine.
Your boot selection is interesting, do you also bring hike/climb boots with you?

I'll look that one up. Way roomier than mine.
Your boot selection is interesting, do you also bring hike/climb boots with you?

I have a pair of hiking boots and gaiters for snowshoeing. I bring my muck boots depending on where we are going and what we are doing after the hike. That trip was a hike in and work weekend so I dragged a snow sled behind me.

Before the Sierra Designs I used (and still do) my NF Aerohead 4 season 2 man tent. It's the small one in front.

P2Kwv9t.jpg

W6L6aOs.jpg

Both of them have withstood snow loads and very, very high winds. Both of those trips were right along the continental divide.

The TarpTent Notch is my favorite tent I've ever had other than it's packed size which is about 15″ long iirc. As I transitioned to a frameless pack for most of my trips I found that fixed length to be difficult to pack around so I sold mine. Aside from that issue it's just fantastic with side entry, two generous vestibules and good ventilation. The interior is relatively tight but it's much larger than a bivy. If you want lots of room to put your pack inside the bugnet next to your sleeping pad, you should look elsewhere.

Being Scottish I've always used Vango tents, even now that I live in New Zealand. All my solo tents are 2 man, the wee bit extra space compared to weight is worth it.

In a pinch I found that a $29 Coleman did work in the snow. Very cheap summer tent but since the roof was vented it kept me dry, and surprising warm. But I wouldn't advise using one. Butane one burner stove warmed up the coffee and tent for the mornings. I wish I didn't knock off the snow before the picture.
1628511262294.png

In a pinch I found that a $29 Coleman did work in the snow. Very cheap summer tent but since the roof was vented it kept me dry, and surprising warm. But I wouldn't advise using one. Butane one burner stove warmed up the coffee and tent for the mornings. I wish I didn't knock off the snow before the picture.View attachment 290129
That's my tent for when I go camping with the boys. You know the sort of trip with Jack, Jim, and Jose being washed down with a lot of beers

That's my tent for when I go camping with the boys. You know the sort of trip with Jack, Jim, and Jose being washed down with a lot of beers
That was up in the Grizzley Unit Oregon while hunting bucks. It was all I could afford at the time. I still got my buck.

Tarptent Moment DW ("solid" inner tent) with optional Crossing Pole for snow load is my winter solo tent.
This tent is light and very good in wind and heavy snow. 2 vestibules and 2 fly doors for storage of pack in one and cooking in the other. Good ventilation yet good spindrift snow protection.

Lightest similar solo tent is the TT Notch (or Notch LI at $600. with Dyneema fabric!)Both are hiking pole supported, hence the lighter weight. Not X-ing Pole adaptable. Not for heavy snow.
Eric B.

For several years my answer to this question has been the TARPTENT MOMENT DW with optional CROSSING POLE shortened 5" and run under the fly for better wind and snow load resistance.

This tent now has a stronger main pole and 4 fly hem stake loops for high wind conditions plus two main pole guy points on each side (instead of the former one guy point per side).

I've been in some very windy weather with my MOMENT DW and it is bombproof. Two doors and two vestibules so room for pack and winter boot shells in one vestibule and room to cook in severe weather in the other.

Why the name "MOMENT"? Because setup only takes a moment due to having (if you want) the inner tent attached to the fly before setup. And packing up is just as easy.

TIP: Make up your guy lines ahead of time to give you a fast setup if needed at "zero dark thirty" when a windstorm suddenly comes howling in.

I would agree that it's super nice having a little larger tent. Not only can you stash ALL your equipment inside but you also have room to dry clothes, cook, etc. A large vestibule area is a big plus and doesn't add a whole lot of weight. I've been cooped up for several days in horrible weather and the addition room sure makes life easier and more pleasant!

Yeah, I have a Tarptent SCARP 2 which is roomy even for two but TWICE the weight of my "winterized" TT Moment DW.
So i'll take my solo Moment DW and save 2.5 pounds.