Best Of The West Shooting Range

ADMIN

Administrator
You can travel many miles in our country before you come across a 1000 yard rifle range open to the public. I believe there are less than a dozen. Last month the Best of the West Shooting Range opened four miles west of the little community of Liberty Hill, Texas on Hwy. 29. Situated on four hundred acres of grazing land is a facility that is very well conceived and designed. Even though it is not fully completed, you can tell the owners are on the right track. Located within an hour drive of Austin and centrally located in the state; this range will surely draw shooters from all sorts of shooting disciplines. Being on flat land, there was a considerable amount of dirt work done. Over a quarter of a million yards were moved and formed into safety berms and shooting back stops. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Best Of The West Shooting Range , By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

That sure is a beautiful range. All of the comforts of home, so to speak.

From having been directly involved with the initial development of a range I appreciate the amount of work, effort and expense that has gone into this one.

The features of the range help in making short work of drop chart development not to mention experience with wind and mirage.

There are several ranges in our neck of the woods that serve similar purposes. None nearly as complete as this one, mostly due to our very low population density.

Its good to see the investment to promote the shooting sport.

There's nothing like the smell of burnt powder in the morning.

Finally can't wait to go check it out. So you said they had steel past 1000 how far does it go.

The maximun range is 1000. There are metal targets at some of the other (long) ranges. This s necessary to keep the range clear of foot traffic.

Wow! The Best Of The West range seems terrific! I wish I was visiting Texas to take advantage this neat new range. Another long range, and a bit closer to folks in Wyoming, is the one in Lander Wyoming. The Lander Valley Sportsman's Association (Lander Valley Sportsmen's Association) operates both a downtown indoor range (rimfire and archery and youth group activities) and a wonderful facility just 4 miles east of town. With a separate pistol and rifle range it is a terrific resource. The outdoor range has berms from 50 to 1000 yards and steel clangers out to 1650 yards. Nearly every weekend there are avid participants in myriad shooting disciplines. In the winter, the temps are usually tolerable enough to continue the fun. Of course, winter season at the indoor range is very active. The costs to become a member, or guest, are very inexpensive-- check out the link above). I no longer live in Lander, but I really miss this facility and the friendly club members. I didn't want to steal the thunder of the Best Of The West Range, but just wanted to let travelers know they should take their shootin' irons when traveling near Lander, WY.

I live way up in Michigan, but when I visit my folks in San Antonio in March I think I just might have to take a look at this great looking facility!!!

I just took a look at the website for The Best of the West Shooting Range and I have just one word to say. Awsome!! There is a 1000 yard range about 50 miles from
me. But there are no plans for a pro shop and resturant.

In case you didn't know, they just built a brand new range at Ft. Carson, too. The range includes a 1000 yd range and at least 5 firing lines. I've only been there once, but its pretty nice. Its open to the public and costs $10.00 for the day. It includes several pistol ranges, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.