Best non-res antelope hunts?

huntokanogan

I am from WA and looking for goats in a state with liberal amount non- resident tags and good public access. Or ranches that still give permition w/o charging fees (WA is behind the rest, ranchers here don't charge fees...yet).
I have been advised to look at Wyoming. But where?
any help I can get would be great. I really want to hunt a goat!
Thanks guys!

I would stick with WY for goats. SD, MT, and ND have had drastic population reductions due to severe winters the past couple of years. I have a cousin that lives in Riverton, WY and he always has good hunts on goats. From what I've seen, just about anywhere in the state is good for goats. I would concentrate on areas with little to no vehicle access. It takes more effort to get back in there but most hunters hunt near the roads and anywhere they can drive a 4x4 or quad. Good luck.

Too late in Wyoming for regular Antelope Draw this year, ended May 31st. Leftover tags go on sale first come basis in July, I think the 7th. A lot of public land and most ranchers want you to thin the antelope out. May not be many Any Antelope tags leftover but a lot of Doe Fawn tags will be left over. Especially in eastern part of state. Go to Wyoming game and fish website for complete details.

There are a lot of ranches in eastern Wyo that have access, but most of them charge a tresspass fee and book up fast. In some of the under subscribed areas in eastern Wyo, you can find some public land to hunt and some walk in areas, but you need to study maps good before putting in for a tag. There will be a lot of tags left over in eastern Wyo, but don't put in until you find a good place to go. The best areas for public lands are in the west and central parts of the state, but you must apply by March 15 as a non resident. Your best bet would be to purchase a preference point right now and then apply for the drawing next year.

Wyoming will be your best first choice. You can purchase a preference point between July 1-September 30, and this will increase your chances in next years drawing. The better units usually take 3-5 points unless you're lucky. With 1 point there are some units with a lot of tags, and public land that you could hunt next year. Although they can be a bit of a free for all, you can get some experience, and your first one on the wall to look at while you wait for a better opportunity. Get a map that shows public land, such as the Delorme, and match your game unit map against it. A good GPS will help you know where you are at if you select a unit that is checker boarded with private land.
Montana can have a lot of tags, not generally considered good for quality. This winter has reportedly drastically reduced Antelope numbers. Maybe someone on the ground can tell us more. Antelope can come back fast if the coyotes aren't too bad.
Nevada plan at least 3-5 years of points to be in the race, 5-10 years more likely. To late to begin building points this year. You need to be in by April usually.
Other states drawing odds for non resident are getting worse each year, and unless you can afford a land owner tag, or a commission auction tag, it's probably not worth it. Example I have 13 points in Oregon, and figure I have about 3-5 years before I draw, dependent on the unit.
Apologies to the ladies, but hunting Antelope is about as much fun as a man can have with his pants on-good luck.
Being from Washington also, getting out of state will be one of the best things you can do for your hunting career.

Last edited:
If you want to hunt goats this year, there should be buck tags left in unit 7 in Wyoming when they go on sale July 6. That unit is from Newcastle on to the west for quite a ways and there is a lot of Federal public grasslands, as well as 20,000 acres of open walkin private land that is all within 10-15 minutes from Newcastle. The walkin areas are all signed and if you get off the roads and do some walking you should be able to have some fun and shoot a goat without too much of a problem. That area of Wyoming was not hit by bad weather, so just start checking the F&G website and by the end of this month it should show all the units with leftover licenses because the drawing hasn't been held yet. Any questions just send me an email as I know Wyoming pretty well. You can also buy a PP between 7/1 and 9/30 if you want to get a start on a better unit for next year that is a little harder to draw. Unit 27 would be my pick to draw in 2012 with 1 PP as I saw several great goats there last season.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Another vote for WY! 2 years ago, I met 4 guys from WA (sorry I do not remember exactly where in WA they are from). Apparently, they've been hunting the same BMA 4 of 6 that they've put in with very good success. Anyways, the BMA is in Cascade, MT and in area 450.

Good luck!

Ed

If you don't get a leftover tag at least put in for a point, I think you have till sept 30th but I would check for sure so you don't miss it as I have done in the past on moose points. I think a point is $35.00 for antelope. I have hunted 90 -1 90-2 & 93 lots of goats each time unit I hunted. all out west by Kemmerer & Farson but they usually take three years or more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts