Best Muzzleloader for Elk

gabeg

I drew a tag for unit 13 in new mexico this year during muzzleloader season. I am typically an archer or rifle hunter, and have only taken 1 elk with a borrowed muzzleloader. For effective ranges of 100-300 yards, which muzzleloader should I be looking at in regards to performance, ease of loading, and energy? I am looking at 3 models, the Best of the west muzzleloader, Remington Ultimate 700 muzzleloader and the CVA Paramount. Thank you for the info, I am a complete Newbie muzzleloader so I don't even know where to begin.

How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to venture?

If you completely believe that muzzleloaders WILL NOT become a primary hunting firearm, and that you'll only shoot it a few times each year just prior to hunting, then here's my suggestion................. Remington Ultimate. Its also a .50cal, so if you were to hunt in states like CO, you can shoot bore size .50cal bullets. Its pretty much a "no brainer" muzzleloader. It is accurate to 300yds+ also. Cost effective also, which allows you to spend a lot more on a quality scope. There are a couple modifications that make the RUM a very good shooter.
And............ if ever down the road you want to get really deep in the rabbit hole, the Remington 700 action on the RUM can be used to create an unbelievable SML/SMOKER muzzleloader.

Myself, I'm not putting $5k - $7k in a BOTW muzzleloader. You can purchase a TOP OF THE LINE custom build and IMO a better rifle.

The Paramount.............. Although a success for CVA, it leaves a lot on the table. CVA has the inside barrel diameter as some kind of SOB. Their reason behind that........... sell CVA Power Belt Bullets, specifically the ELR's. The bores are oversize and if a person wants to use a different bullet, generally a .452" bullet will have to be knurled and resized to shoot well. Don't get me wrong, there's been a lot of game that has fallen to the Paramount in a short time. I'm not a fan of the vari-flame ignition system. Its also a 45cal unless you went with the Paramount Pro in 50cal., so some states you'd be limited (CO).

All three of the muzzleloaders you mentioned are 300yd+ muzzleloaders.

How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to venture?

If you completely believe that muzzleloaders WILL NOT become a primary hunting firearm, and that you'll only shoot it a few times each year just prior to hunting, then here's my suggestion................. Remington Ultimate. Its also a .50cal, so if you were to hunt in states like CO, you can shoot bore size .50cal bullets. Its pretty much a "no brainer" muzzleloader. It is accurate to 300yds+ also. Cost effective also, which allows you to spend a lot more on a quality scope. There are a couple modifications that make the RUM a very good shooter.
And............ if ever down the road you want to get really deep in the rabbit hole, the Remington 700 action on the RUM can be used to create an unbelievable SML/SMOKER muzzleloader.

Myself, I'm not putting $5k - $7k in a BOTW muzzleloader. You can purchase a TOP OF THE LINE custom build and IMO a better rifle.

The Paramount.............. Although a success for CVA, it leaves a lot on the table. CVA has the inside barrel diameter as some kind of SOB. Their reason behind that........... sell CVA Power Belt Bullets, specifically the ELR's. The bores are oversize and if a person wants to use a different bullet, generally a .452" bullet will have to be knurled and resized to shoot well. Don't get me wrong, there's been a lot of game that has fallen to the Paramount in a short time. I'm not a fan of the vari-flame ignition system. Its also a 45cal unless you went with the Paramount Pro in 50cal., so some states you'd be limited (CO).

All three of the muzzleloaders you mentioned are 300yd+ muzzleloaders.
Thank you for the info! I am a once a year or every other year sort of muzzloader hunter. I'm with you, I'd rather not drop $5k on a top of line custom if a Remington will get the job done. Thank you for the info!

If you're new to muzzleloader hunting and aren't looking to spend a fortune right off the bat. I would suggest looking at the Traditions Vortex Strikerfire. The cerakotte barrel is great for hunting in weather, and I have been more than happy with the accuracy of mine.

The 700 has served me well. I'm in WA so no scopes allowed so I got the peep sight version. It is as accurate as I can imagine with irons out as far as I can see with them.

I hit the easy button and use the powder pellets. 2 magnums, 120gr equivalent under a 260gr scorpion PT gold does right at 1815 fps. That will do about 1.5 inches with the peep. I'd like to throw a scope on just to see what it is actually capable of.

My only gripe is weight. It's about 10 lbs without a scope, which is way heavier than the traditions it replaced or my dad's TC.

In fact, my profile pic is the last deer I killed with it. I love that CVA ramrod with the palm saver thingy.

I had several very productive PMs with Encore (thank you sir) and am thankful for the information he shared with me.

I tweaked my Rem 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader with the arrowhead breech plug, a timney trigger and had the laminate stock bedded. First elk hunt in NM used the 250 gr Remington (made by Barnes) sabot/ bullet and the triple seven pellets. Second year used the 300 gr 50 cal Thor hammer bullets with Blackhorn 209. Took a cow elk each season.

This year I am trying the Fury 50 cal universal fit bullets with BH209. link:

Will be doing some comparisons at long range and will use either the Furys or the Thor Hammers for this year's NM cow hunt.

First year and second year used the SWFA HD 1-6 illuminated. Wanted a bit more magnification so will be using a Nightforce SHV 3-10 x 42 with forceplex reticle this year.

Check out arrowhead rifles they make a great smokeless muzzleloader and it's not quite as much as the best of the west that you mentioned earlier

I hope you get to work on your longer range. Unless you get to use scopes in NM, 200-300 yards is tough enough.

New Mexico has two type muzzleloader zones, standard & restricted;

NEW MEXICO

New Mexico offers muzzleloading opportunities for mule deer, elk, antelope, whitetail deer and Coues deer. Because New Mexico uses a random lottery draw that is not weighted with bonus or preference points hunters can find some great draw odds. When looking at any particular species pay special attention to the season dates for muzzleloaders. Some of the seasons may have more desirable dates than corresponding rifle tags and carry lower draw odds.

Muzzleloader requirements can be broken into two separate subcategories in New Mexico: standard muzzleloader hunts and restricted muzzleloader-only hunts.

When participating in standard muzzleloader season in New Mexico hunters are allowed to use black powder, Pyrodex, or any black powder substitutes. Smokeless powder is prohibited. Scopes, sabots, and in-line ignition systems are legal.

The restricted muzzleloader hunts are found in Units 9, 33 and 52 and are for deer only.

To be legal for a restricted hunt a muzzleloader must:

• Be loaded only from the muzzle end of the barrel;
  • Use only black powder, pyrodex or an equivalent substitute; and
  • Use only loose powder. Pelletized powder is prohibited.
  • Not use an in-line ignition system;
  • Not use sabots or belted projectiles; and
  • Be fitted only with open sights. Scopes are prohibited.
  • Be capable of only firing one projectile.
  • Scopes, sabots, in-line ignitions, pelletized powder, and belted bullets may be used in any other muzzleloader hunt.