Best misses

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
Ok so what are you guys worst misses? Just stupid mistakes or castrophic failures, we can't hit everything everyshot :D
The one that comes to mind for me was when I touched off a weatherby 30-378 when I was 22, in camp unloading the rifle... I was so ****ed at myself I broke the wall tent down and left. And the other one that comes to mind wasn't me, but I was with my buddy hunting and he was lobbing a 270 wsm at a whitetail without a rangefinder and the yardage was just a hair over 700 yds. But that wasn't the major prob, I was setting up on the same deer and was only 121yds away from the deer when I heard the muzzle blast and pop from the sonic crack as the round passed me...
Chris
Benchmark

Best miss! Having a round not chamber properly during a 1000 yard match. Correcting the problem, settling in on the bull and firing, watching the target go down and back up with an X marked….then listening to the scorer state, "That wasn't your target." I was distracted by the chamber problem and didn't recover properly. That best miss was well deserved!

For me it was accidentally firing a ruger bisly 22LR revolver inside my brothers car while he was driving! I found out the glove box door in a 97 Pontiac grand am will stop a 22LR round at from 15''!

3 years ago during deer season, I had a meeting cancelled, so I hurried home to get my stuff. I didn't get to go much that year, so I was very anxious to get into the stand. It is an hour's drive to my stand, and the entire drive I was worried that I forgot something, but after replaying the list of stuff I brought with me, I was sure I had everything.

About a mile before the turnoff to my stand, I saw a hog feeding on the edge of a field I had permission to hunt. I drove past the field and parked the truck. I made a stalk that took me about 1/2 mile out of a straight line path to get close to him since the wind was not constant. I get next to a tree to take a shot, open the bolt on my rifle to chamber a round only to see that I left my ammo on the top of my gun safe at home. I got pretty ****ed for a few seconds, but had to take a deep breath and laugh it off.

Coyote at two feet!!!! I sat down in the middle of a dog town. Not even a blade of grass for cover. Started the dying cottontail on the mouth call. Saw movement out of the corner of my eye. He's coming and has me nailed. He is right behind me and I feel like I can hear his breathing. I wait as long as I can stand it. The mind is running terrible outcomes. I swing the 22-250 and shoot from the hip. The coyote at 2 feet. The bullet passes right under his belly. He jumps straight up and leaves at a high rate!

Coyote at two feet!!!! I sat down in the middle of a dog town. Not even a blade of grass for cover. Started the dying cottontail on the mouth call. Saw movement out of the corner of my eye. He's coming and has me nailed. He is right behind me and I feel like I can hear his breathing. I wait as long as I can stand it. The mind is running terrible outcomes. I swing the 22-250 and shoot from the hip. The coyote at 2 feet. The bullet passes right under his belly. He jumps straight up and leaves at a high rate!

Thats the best on I have heard of should of had a pistol!!!

Bobcat at 10'.

One day, while waiting on a crew to show up to a remote site, I had my electronic call and an AR with me. Wearing blue jeans, black t-shirt, and black baseball cap, I set it about 50' from me and hit play.

5 minutes later, just sitting in some lava boulders, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Turn my head very slowly and see a bobcat 10' from me between me and the caller. He had no clue I was there. Raise the AR very slowly.......get on target with the scope on 3X........just starting to squeeze........and my cell phone rings. You would have sworn that cat stepped on an electric fence as he went 6' straight up and I broke the shot on a rock where the cat had been standing .1 second prior.

I am ashamed to say I yelled at my wife that morning........

scrmblr1982cj8-69799

I have you beat. I flew to Texas from Florida to hunt a friend's place. Have my 7mag dialed to perfection so I decided to take it with me on that trip as I had ignored it for many years. I land, drive a couple hours, put on a jacket take the gun case and put it in buddies pickup truck. Get ammo and binos from suitcase and we are on the way. We will take a shot when we get there to make sure all is on zero.

On the half hour drive to the hunt i get a text from my wife asking if i need this metal tool i left on the kitchen counter. picture of my bolt arrives a second later.

That was 5 years ago. still haven't taken the 7 mag hunting...

Being 1 revolution off on the elevation turret on one of those "watch this...it's 650...it's a chip shot" moments with friends!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.